Facebook Twitter 新浪微博 Instagram YouTube Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017
Search
Archive
English>>

DPRK launches ballistic missile 'capable of hitting US mainland'

(CNTV)    13:23, November 29, 2017

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) has confirmed that it successfully tested a “Hwasong 15” intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on Wednesday.

A Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) statement, which confirms earlier assessments from the United States and the Republic of Korea (ROK), claims the new type of ICBM "is capable of striking the whole mainland of the US."

It was Pyongyang's first test launch since a missile was fired in mid-September, days after its sixth-nuclear test.

The ICBM was launched at 02:48 local time on Wednesday, according to the KCNA statement, and flew to an altitude of 4,475 km and then a distance of 950 km.

It was launched from Sain Ni in the DPRK and flew for 53 minutes before splashing down into the Sea of Japan, said Pentagon spokesman Robert Manning.

The launch has been widely condemned by the international community.

New type of missile

The DPRK said on Wednesday that the successful test of the “Hwasong 15” ICBM "realized great historic cause of completing state nuclear force."

US, Japanese and ROK officials all agreed the missile was likely an ICBM. It did not pose a threat to the United States, its territories or allies, the Pentagon said.

"It went higher frankly than any previous shot they’ve taken, a research and development effort on their part to continue building ballistic missiles that can threaten everywhere in the world, basically," US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told reporters at the White House.

Trump, Moon warn of 'grave threat'

US President Donald Trump and his ROK counterpart Moon Jae-in warned that Pyongyang's latest missile launch posed a "grave" global threat.

"Both leaders underscored the grave threat that North Korea (DPRK)'s latest provocation poses not only to the United States and the Republic of Korea, but to the entire world," the White House said in an account of a crisis call between Trump and Moon.

Japan denounces 'violent act'

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the latest DPRK missile launch was a "violent act" that "can never be tolerated" after the ICBM splashed down in its exclusive economic zone.

"We will never yield to any provocative act. We will maximize our pressure" on Pyongyang, Abe told reporters.

"The government welcomes the fact that China is taking concrete steps such as an embargo on imports of North Korea's coal, marine products, textile products, among others," Abe told a parliamentary committee.

"Frankly speaking, I feel that China is playing its role" over the UN-agreed sanctions, he added.

UN council meeting scheduled

The United States, Japan and the ROK requested an emergency UN Security Council meeting to address Pyongyang's missile launch. Reuters reported a meeting was expected later on Wednesday.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the launch and called for Pyongyang to "desist from taking any further destabilizing steps."

'State sponsor of terror'

Wednesday's launch came after Trump announced last week that the US will designate the DPRK as a state sponsor of terror.

The DPRK will join Iran, Sudan and Syria on the US list of state sponsors of terror.

"In addition to threatening the world by nuclear devastation, North Korea (DPRK) has repeatedly supported acts of international terrorism including assassinations on foreign soil," Trump said during a cabinet meeting.

The US Treasury Department also expanded its list of DPRK sanctions against 34 additional individuals and companies on November 21.

(For the latest China news, Please follow People's Daily on Twitter and Facebook)
(Web editor: Liang Jun, Bianji)

Add your comment

Most Read

Hot News

We Recommend

Photos

prev next

Related reading