Latest News:  

English>>China Society

Tot's kidnapper couldn't carry out threat

By Ni Yinbin (Shanghai Daily)

08:43, April 26, 2013

Police confirmed yesterday that they arrested a man for kidnapping the 16-month-old son of his boss and threatening the boy's life because he had not been paid.

Despite the threats, police said the man didn't have the stomach for carry the crime off, and turned the boy over to police about four hours after the kidnapping, saying his conscience bothered him.

The kidnapping happened around the noon on February 4 when the boy was found missing from his bed. His parents rushed to the Jiangwan Police Station, Hongkou District.

"I saw my baby was in bed but when I finished my job and turned around, he was gone and the baby bottle and sheet were left," said the boy's father, surnamed Gong.

Gong and his family, from out of town, were running a small restaurant on Wan'an Road and lived there as well. That day, they were busy in taking care of customers at noon.

Officers tried to help the parents to recall any suspicious person that had entered their restaurant, but all they remembered were some friends and neighbors who they believed could not be the suspects.

Around 1pm, officers said they saw a suspicious figure in surveillance video of the area. According to the footage, the man left Gong's restaurant at 11:01am with something in his arms and got into a taxi at 11:18am.

Gong recognized the man as Li Renfa, a friend and supervisor in a renovation company owned by Gong, he said. The local man would go to Gong's house to drink and play cards and at times stayed overnight.

Police then found the taxi driver and confirmed the suspect was Li and the baby was Gong's son.

"Your son is with me. Transfer 300,000 yuan (US$48,579) to my account in two hours, otherwise he'll die with me," Li said in a message to gong about one and a half hours after the kidnapping. But when Gong tried to call back, the phone was off.

Around 3pm, Li lowered the demand to 200,000 yuan.

But at the mean time, officers of the Sichuan Road N. police station reported that a baby boy was sent to the station by a man who claimed he found the boy in a park. It was Gong's son. Li was caught at a hotel at 10pm.

Latest development of H7N9 in China[Special]

We Recommend:

Photo story: A father's naked love

China's weekly story (2013.4.8-4.12)

Photo story: Seize every minute to do homework

Li and Miao people in Sanyuesan Festival

University students make 7-square-meter home

Lesbian lovers seek blessings for their marriage

Things you may not know about the pharmacist

Young rangers patrol railway line

Waitresses wear bikini for promotion

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:WangLili、Gao Yinan)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name


Selections for you

  1. Military high-techs used in quake rescue

  2. Qingdao destroyer open to visitors

  3. 22nd ASEAN Summit kicks off in Brunei

  4. Cool shades as summer is coming

  5. A migrant worker’s life after work in photos

  6. Preventing disease after the quake

  7. 'Qing Dynasty Queen' hosts sacrificial rites

  8. WAGs of snooker players

  9. Entrepreneurs see potential in market

  10. No new stimulus needed as economy remains stable

Most Popular


  1. Urbanization to fuel China's economic growth
  2. Supervise, don't smear Red Cross
  3. Offering security protection for co-development
  4. Insisting on wrong road, Japan has no future
  5. US 'turns blind eye to human rights'
  6. Are cities expanding too fast and too soon?
  7. Homework, games limit kids' reading
  8. Commentary: Quake-hit China grows in pain
  9. Loan guidance is good for banks, report says
  10. IMF should act responsibly

What’s happening in China

Giant pandas safe in quake-hit zone

  1. Man used fake bomb in attempt to rob bank
  2. Bodies of 2 infants found along river
  3. Bird-watchers undaunted by H7N9 virus
  4. China destroys nearly 30 mln pirated publications
  5. Beijing officials to sweep streets