Apple News Facebook Twitter 新浪微博 Instagram YouTube Monday, Oct 14, 2019

This is murder! Policeman lashed in neck by a rioter with sharp-edged object

(People's Daily)    10:07, October 14, 2019

HONG KONG, Oct. 13 (Xinhua) -- Rioters attacked police officers with sharp objects and cut a police officer's neck from behind in Hong Kong Sunday afternoon, as violence erupted again in China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

One police officer's neck was bleeding in the attack. He was in consciousness and sent to United Christian Hospital for treatment.

Two suspects were arrested at the scene, the Hong Kong police said.

The attack occurred at the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) Kwun Tong station at about 5:30 p.m. local time when the police officers arrived to handle a criminal damage case.

Attacking police officers with sharp objects could be deadly, and rioters' acts posed a serious threat to the personal safety of officers, the police said, vowing to bring those responsible to justice.

Unauthorized demonstrations and gatherings raged multiple locations across Hong Kong on Sunday afternoon, and soon escalated into violent acts after groups of masked rioters blocked major roads, and vandalized shops, public facilities and MTR stations.

Police officers fired tear gas to disperse those demonstrators after acts of violence and criminal damage were reported in both Sha Tin and Tsuen Wan.

Police warn the rioters to stop their illegal acts immediately.

Train services of several MTR lines in Hong Kong were affected and even suspended as masked rioters vandalized various stations and hurled objects into the rail track.

At around 3:00 p.m. local time, some rioters even hurled objects into the rail track of Sha Tin MTR station.

The Hong Kong police said such acts neglected the safety of members of the public as the station was in operation at the material time.

The MTR Corp announced Sunday afternoon that the service of all the light rail routes was suspended and various stations of several heavy rail lines were closed due to an escalation of the situation at different stations.

The police reiterated that participating in the unauthorized assembly was committing an offense under the Hong Kong laws, and warned the rioters to stop their illegal acts and leave immediately.

Prolonged violence has lasted for four months in Hong Kong, as rioters repeatedly renewed violence, arson, vandalism and attacks on individuals and public facilities.

(with input from Xinhua)

(For the latest China news, Please follow People's Daily on Twitter and Facebook)
(Web editor: Liang Jun, Bianji)

Add your comment

Most Read

Hot News

We Recommend


prev next