
TEHRAN, Aug. 5 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Monday that the United States is responsible for tension in the Gulf region.
Iran is responsible to provide security of the Gulf, said Zarif at a press conference here on Monday, rejecting foreign intervention in the region's security.
Iran will not allow any violation of regulations in the Gulf, he said.
He decried what he called the British cooperation with the United States in marine "piracy."
He was alluding to UK's seizure of Iran's oil tanker under the pretext that the vessel was carrying oil to Syria which is under the sanctions of the EU.
Besides, Zarif said the U.S. put sanctions on him since he did not accept Washington's invitation for a White House meeting when he was recently in New York for a UN conference.
"They told me if I do not go to the White House, I will be sanctioned in one or two weeks," he added.
The United States blacklisted Zarif last week. Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was also sanctioned by the U.S. last month.
Fire brigade in Shanghai holds group wedding
Tourists enjoy ice sculptures in Datan Town, north China
Sunset scenery of Dayan Pagoda in Xi'an
Tourists have fun at scenic spot in Nanlong Town, NW China
Harbin attracts tourists by making best use of ice in winter
In pics: FIS Alpine Ski Women's World Cup Slalom
Black-necked cranes rest at reservoir in Lhunzhub County, Lhasa
China's FAST telescope will be available to foreign scientists in April
"She power" plays indispensable role in poverty alleviation
Top 10 world news events of People's Daily in 2020
Top 10 China news events of People's Daily in 2020
Top 10 media buzzwords of 2020
Year-ender:10 major tourism stories of 2020
No interference in Venezuelan issues
Biz prepares for trade spat
Broadcasting Continent
Australia wins Chinese CEOs as US loses