
Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday sent a message of condolences to his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, on the gas explosion in a residential building in the city of Magnitogorsk, Russia.
In the message, Xi said he is shocked to learn about the gas explosion which caused severe casualties and property loss.
"On behalf of the Chinese government and people, and in my own name, I would like to express my sorrow for the loss of life and extend my deep condolences to the families of the victims as well as the injured," Xi said.
Noting that the rescue operation is undergoing at this moment, Xi said: "I believe that under the strong leadership of Mr. President, this accident will be properly handled."
On the same day, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang also sent a message of condolences to his Russian counterpart, Dmitry Medvedev, conveying his deep sorrow for the victims and sincere condolences to their families.
A total of 14 bodies were recovered so far after the gas explosion. Dozens remain unaccounted for, as rescue operations are still under way in wake of the new year eve accident in the city 1,400 km east of Moscow.
Fire brigade in Shanghai holds group wedding
Tourists enjoy ice sculptures in Datan Town, north China
Sunset scenery of Dayan Pagoda in Xi'an
Tourists have fun at scenic spot in Nanlong Town, NW China
Harbin attracts tourists by making best use of ice in winter
In pics: FIS Alpine Ski Women's World Cup Slalom
Black-necked cranes rest at reservoir in Lhunzhub County, Lhasa
China's FAST telescope will be available to foreign scientists in April
"She power" plays indispensable role in poverty alleviation
Top 10 world news events of People's Daily in 2020
Top 10 China news events of People's Daily in 2020
Top 10 media buzzwords of 2020
Year-ender:10 major tourism stories of 2020
No interference in Venezuelan issues
Biz prepares for trade spat
Broadcasting Continent
Australia wins Chinese CEOs as US loses