Latest News:  


Kenyan police to charge over 20 suspects over Kisumu chaos


08:21, April 02, 2013

KISUMU, Kenya, April 1 (Xinhua) -- Kenyan police said late Monday that they will charge in court 23 suspects who have been arrested following clashes that erupted in the country's third largest city Kisumu over the weekend.

Regional police commander Joseph Ole Tito said the violent protests broke out late on Saturday after the Supreme Court's ruling on election petition which was filed by Prime Minister Raila Odinga.

Ole Tito said those who participated in the demonstrations and caused mayhem in the ever busy city will be arraigned in court on Tuesday once the police have completed their investigations.

"The police have so far arrested 23 criminal gangs, recovered some of the items that were stolen or looted from the premises of the suspects and with the sufficient evidence that we have, all these characters are supposed to appear before the court of law," Oletito told a news conference in Kisumu.

He said the suspects will face charges of robbery with violence, adding that the number of those who have been displaced as a result of violent protests has risen to 59 including 16 women, 21 male adults and 22 children.

Ole Tito also confirmed that two people were killed while 11 others were wounded in the skirmishes, and assured that the slums areas of the lakeside city of Kisumu which were rocked by violent protests are under control.

"There is still heavy presence of police security in the city as more patrols will ensure that no ugly incidents are reported in the slums," said the regional police commander.

"We have launched investigations into the incident and wish also to assure residents of increased security. Things have now calmed down and I hope many shops will open on Tuesday," Ole Tito said.

Police were forced to fire in the air and lob teargas canisters at the youths to try to disperse them when they barricaded the busy Kisumu-Kakamega road.

Gunshots were also heard late into the night on Saturday and early Sunday as police made attempts to disperse the rowdy youths.

The March 30 Supreme Court's ruling with unanimous decision upheld the election of Uhuru Kenyatta as the duly elected fourth president of Kenya. The ruling dashed hopes of Odinga's supporters, many of whom expected another round of election after some irregularities were allegedly found during the re-tallying exercise which had been ordered by the court. The 67-year-old Odinga, the son of Kenya's opposition doyen, said Kenya is more important than an individual and urged Kenyatta to reunite all Kenyans and uphold constitutionalism.

We recommend:

People search for gold in Colombia's Suarez

Christians Celebrate Holy Week Around World

Fire razes 400 houses in Malaysia, dozens injured

Holi Festival celebrated in the Philippines

A glance of police dog in Nanningi

LEGO Miniland of iconic landmarks

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:MaXi、Yao Chun)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name


Selections for you

  1. Su-27 fighter jet crashes in Shandong

  2. Paramilitary personnels in competition

  3. Photos of the Indian Festival of Colors

  4. Rush for Qingming Festival hits roads, rails

  5. 17 confirmed dead in Tibet landslide

  6. China's weekly story

  7. We miss you so much, Leslie

  8. Bikini-clad girls move on Robstep

  9. Private aircraft stores opening across China

  10. Air China launches 2nd Beijing-NY direct flight

Most Popular


  1. Xi's visit starts new era of China-Africa relations
  2. Opinion: It's high time to stop hijacking Tibetans
  3. Significant risks remain for global economy:BRICS
  4. BRICS summit offers bright sunrise
  5. Western leaders learned nothing from Iraq disaster
  6. Home prices thwarts people's 'Chinese dream'

What’s happening in China

Experience death, reflect life: Girl stages her own fake funeral

  1. Drug dealing pair sentenced to death
  2. Man suspected of stabbing women with needles
  3. More HIV cases among Chinese students
  4. Hero's ex-chief admits tainting baby formula
  5. Anger over officer who paid for child sex