TRIPOLI, Nov. 20 -- A main armed militia group in Libya has pulled out of Tripoli in accordance with a parliament decision to dissolve all armed formations in the capital, security sources said Wednesday.
The armed group, Nawasi, handed over its military bases and airports on the outskirts of the capital Tuesday, a source of the security forces told Xinhua.
"The majority of the Nawasi brigade are registered in the ministries of interior and defense," the source said on condition of anonymity.
"Now they will not be allowed to patrol the streets as revolutionary brigades but only if they are called on duty by the Libyan government," he added.
Libya has been experiencing a wave of political unrest, kidnappings and violent clashes. Two years after the 2011 conflict, Libyan authorities are still struggling to rein in numerous armed groups and militias roaming the country.
Last Friday, a group of militiamen opened fire at hundreds of protesters who demanded an armed group from the western city of Misrata move out of the capital, killing at least 43 people and injuring 460 others.
After the incident, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan urged all militia groups to leave Tripoli under a law approved by the General National Congress earlier this year.