TEHRAN, July 17 (Xinhua) -- Head of Iran's Passive Defense Organization said Wednesday that the Islamic republic plans to hold exercises to increase its preparedness for any possible nuclear contamination incident, Press TV reported.
The drills on nuclear contamination and its hazards will be staged for 20 days in August and September, Brigadier General Gholam-Reza Jalali said, without providing more details.
Iran started the construction of its sole Bushehr nuclear power plant in 1975 with several German companies. But the work halted when the United States imposed an embargo on hi-tech supplies to Iran after the 1979 revolution. Russia signed a contract with Iran to complete the construction in 1998. The full launch of the plant has been postponed several times due to safety considerations.
Also, Iran has built two nuclear enrichment facilities in central Natanz and Fordow cities. Iran's southern neighbors have expressed their concerns over the safety standards deployed in the country's nuclear establishments.
Earlier in July, Ali-Asghar Soltanieh, Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency emphasized that the Islamic republic is determined to benefit from peaceful nuclear energy in a safe and secure manner, according to Press TV.
He also pointed to cyber attacks against nuclear facilities as a serious security concern, warning that such assaults jeopardize the health and safety of the people and the environment.
Dachshunds attend annual Wiener Dog Racing
Collective gay wedding held in Mexico City
Best photos of week (July 8 - July 14)
'Temple Collection' on display in India
Bastille Day military parade held in Paris
Indian new recruits attend passiong out parade
Anti-government protest held in Thailand
Mexico's Popocatepetl Volcano spews ashes
Egypt unrest continues in Cairo