Latest News:  

English>>China Society

Charger shock for iPhone user

(Shanghai Daily)

08:15, July 19, 2013

The relatives of Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old woman from northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region have claimed that the woman died after being electrocuted while using her iPhone. (File photo)

A 30-YEAR-OLD Beijing man is in a coma after he got an electric shock while trying to recharge his mobile phone.

It was the second such incident involving an iPhone in a week.

A 23-year-old woman who died in northwest China last Thursday was found with her iPhone by her side and a charger attached.

In the latest case, Wu Jiantong's sister said he collapsed at around 10pm on Monday after connecting the iPhone 4 he had been using for two years to a charger.

"He shouted 'electric shock' and then fell on the ground," Wu Jianxiang said. He then began trembling and foaming at the mouth while his lips turned purple.

She said she also felt a slight electric shock from her arm to the tips of her toes when she tried to unplug the charger.

Doctors at a nearby hospital said the victim's heart had stopped but they managed to resuscitate him. He was unconscious and in the intensive care unit.

Doctors fear he may have suffered brain damage from a lack of oxygen during the time his heart stopped.

His sister blamed the charger, which wasn't one made by Apple. She said there were no problems with the iPhone and it could still be used.

On online shopping platform, chargers can cost as little as 4 yuan (65 US cents), while a genuine Apple one costs 149 yuan.

"A non-original charger may use low-quality electric capacity and a safety circuit that lets the 220-volt electric circuit run through the phone and electrocute the user," said Xiang Ligang, a telecommunications expert.

Feng Jianmin, an engineer with an authorized Apple products store in the capital city, also said the electric capacity of non-original chargers could easily be damaged by the 220-volt electric circuit and electrocute the user.

Last Thursday, Ma Ailun, 23, a former flight attendant for China Southern Airlines, was electrocuted in her home in Changji in the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.

China Central Television later confirmed that she had also been using a charger that hadn't been made by Apple.

Her iPhone 4 had burn marks on both sides and she had burns on her body.

Police said the incident was still under investigation.

In a statement on Ma's case, Apple China said the company would be investigating and cooperating with the police.

It added that it expressed sincere condolences to Ma's family.

【1】 【2】

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:HuangJin、Chen Lidan)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name


Selections for you

  1. HK Youth Military Summer Camp opens

  2. PLA special forces hold military skills contest

  3. Global crisis of land subsidence

  4. Woman recognized as world's oldest

  5. Fuzhou tops the list of hottest cities in China

  6. Photo: Voyage to Sansha

  7. Bikini girls highlight Japanese Uminohi

  8. The story behind models at auto show

  9. The foreign dairy conundrum in China

  10. Cross-sea bridge to be open in E China

Most Popular


  1. What are so-called 'eight facts' of the Philippines?
  2. US surveillance program clouds US-European ties
  3. Abe's anti-China machinations doomed to fail
  4. China's recent slowdown not hard landing
  5. U.S. experts optimistic about China's growth
  6. Harmony is the theme of China's ocean strategy
  7. It is right time to invest in China
  8. Two-way fluctuation essential for RMB reform
  9. Brands face constant battle to attract, keep buyers
  10. Kennedy may prove wise choice as envoy

What’s happening in China

Charger shock for iPhone user

  1. Maritime fire drill held in South China Sea
  2. China's tallest building to be finished by 2015
  3. Sichuan rainstorms result in water shortage
  4. New shuttle plan gets mixed reviews
  5. Shanghai airport to screen 4D movies