Latest News:  

English>>Life & Culture

Shanghai Disney to have Chinese flavor: CEO


08:35, June 09, 2013

The Shanghai Disney Resort will feature Chinese elements that will make the amusement park unique, according to Robert Iger, chairman and chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company.

It is important that Shanghai Disneyland, currently being constructed, incorporates enough elements that Chinese people believe are culturally relevant, Iger told Xinhua in an interview.

"In terms of Chinese elements, we feel it is important to balance China and Disney, not America, because the brand of Disney is global," Iger said.

He said the new park will have "things that are Disney" because people in China like them. "We don't want to deprive them of that."

However, he said there will be new attractions, different to those found in other Disney parks around the world. "It will be almost exclusive."

Iger said the new park will have a lot of entertainment and show elements that will be very Chinese in nature, "because they will be performed by Chinese people, and designed, directed and created by artists from China."

Shanghai Disney Resort, the world's sixth Disney amusement park and the first on the Chinese mainland, will be located in the city's Pudong New Area. It will also be the third of its kind in Asia, after Tokyo and Hong Kong.

The resort is a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company and Shanghai Shendi Group, with the latter holding 57 percent of shares and Disney the remaining 43 percent.

Construction of the park is expected to be completed in 2015.

"When Shanghai Disneyland opens, I think many more people from China will be interested in coming than we expected when we first decided to build it there," Iger said.

We recommend:

30 romantic sceneries around world

Have a look! Hottest female stars

A visit to pupils in deep mountain area

Nanjing students present fantastic nude painting

Travel guide for Children's Day

Wandering the Shuyuan Gate of Xi'an

Six Chinese cities with best feng shui

Tears and laughters of children's childhood

Childhood games of Chinese early 80's

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:YeXin、Chen Lidan)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name


Selections for you

  1. Bayi Aerobatics Team in training

  2. PLA Air Force in confrontation training

  3. Supporters of Iranian presidential candidate

  4. Photo story: becoming acrobats

  5. Bus fire suspected 'serious criminal case'

  6. Flight overshoots airport runway

  7. Paintings about the Dragon Boat Festival

  8. The history and future of Shuyuan

  9. China's first Boeing 787 makes debut flight

  10. Chongqing Int'l Auto Industry Fair kicks off

Most Popular


  1. Private sector essential to China's economic health
  2. Fines for unmarried mothers draw criticism
  3. Less Gaokao participants, more seek int'l study
  4. China-US summit to set sunny tone for times ahead
  5. Most US citizens positive on China
  6. Job-hunting college grads need 'soft power'
  7. China strengthens cultural heritage protection
  8. GE CEO optimistic about China's capability
  9. China to become most promising market
  10. High-end manufacturing holds the key

What’s happening in China

Sick girl realizes dream on the stage

  1. Man given death penalty over E China fire
  2. 10,000 evacuated in continuing downpour
  3. Heavy sand storm hits Yinchuan, NW China
  4. Heavy rain kills 15 in southern China
  5. Girl taking national exam drowns in N china