Latest News:  


China's State Grid invests in Australian assets


13:02, May 17, 2013

BEIJING, May 17 (Xinhua) -- The State Grid Corporation of China (SGCC), the country's largest energy distributor, announced on Friday that it has signed an agreement with Singapore Power Limited to buy partial stakes in the latter's two Australian assets.

Under the deal, which was signed here on Thursday, the SGCC will purchase a 60-percent stake in SPI (Australia) Assets Pty Limited (SPIAA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Singapore Power, as well as a 19.9-percent stake in its sister company SP AusNet.

SPIAA is an energy infrastructure company that runs power distribution, gas transmission and distribution services in Australian states and territories including Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory.

SP AusNet, a provider of similar energy services in the state of Victoria, currently has 51 percent of stakes owned by Singapore Power, and the remaining 49 percent by public shareholders. It is listed on both the Australian Securities Exchange and the Singapore Exchange.

The SGCC said the stake acquisition will help optimize its overseas asset portfolio and boost its global influence and competitiveness.

The deal will add to the Chinese state-owned giant's list of overseas investments in recent years, including those in the Philippines, Brazil, Portugal and Australia.

We Recommend:

Successful women:
Rich and beauty

Sweet 'lovers hotel' making good profit

Americans would shun
a Chinese brand

Jack Ma to resign as
Alibaba CEO: Video

Int'l auto show kicks off in SW China

Top 10 most profitable
public companies

Sony releases super
slim table in Hong Kong

Spring hopes maid themes will draw numbers

Quake-hit ebony carving struggling to recover

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:WangXin、Chen Lidan)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name


Selections for you

  1. Fighter pilots complete first parachute jumping

  2. Female special operation members

  3. Hindu labourers move to escape heat

  4. Photo story: Child models' adult world

  5. Child molestation case takes a new turn

  6. Foggy river
    in E China

  7. Gorgeous Miss Tourism candidates

  8. Hot baseball cheerleading squads

  9. The man of mystery opens up

  10. Silkworm breeding in S China

Most Popular


  1. AP probe embodies tension between US govt, media
  2. Protectionism no painkiller for Europe
  3. Culture key to sustainable development
  4. Ten white papers, road to human rights protection
  5. Teen's tragedy reveals child abuse problems
  6. People with depression show disrupted brain 'clock'
  7. iPad obsession hurting child's development
  8. Positive signs in Europe hard won
  9. Who do psychiatrists turn to for therapy?

What’s happening in China

Deaths prompt concerns over elevator safety

  1. H7N9-hit Zhejiang ends emergency response
  2. Fire breaks out at Sinopec refinery in Pudong
  3. China provides life for Indian family
  4. China allocates 9.4 bln USD for public housing
  5. FedEx pledges fund to assist Sichuan quake relief