The China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), owner of the gas well which blew out killing 234 people last week, has promised to compensate victims of the disaster.
CNPC vice-president Su Shulin said here Tuesday that CNPC will compensate victims and their families and help them to resume normal lives through local government.
Su delivered condolences to victims and said that the CNPC apologized for the tragedy in Kaixian county, southwest China's Chongqing municipality on Dec. 23.
Two CNPC employees, Luo Wanzhi and Liu Gang, died while helping to evacuate villagers.
The CNPC has allocated a sum of 10 million yuan (about 1.2 million US dollars) to Kaixian county government for rescue operations and is discussing a further compensation plan with the local government, which is preparing compensation in line with laws and regulations. The plan is expected to come out early January.
Meanwhile, 157 of those killed in the blowout have been identified so far, according to the local government.
Staff of local government department are busy working in 90 teams to help families to claim relatives' bodies and apply for compensation.
Villagers started to return home on Monday and life in Gaoqiao town, which was worst hit, has begun to resume again, with many business stands opening and people moving about in the streets.