Milan, July 2 - Inter Milan announced Wednesday that they have extended coach Walter Mazzarri's contract so that it runs until June 30, 2016. Mazzarri took over the three-time European champions last year after a successful four-year stint at Napoli. After a promising start, Inter drifted out of the Serie A title race last season and they had to settle for qualification for the Europa League, the continent's secondary club competition, after finishing fifth.
As a result Mazzarri came under heavy fire from many Inter fans.
But Inter's Indonesian Chairman Erick Thohir repeatedly dispelled speculation that Mazzarri's job was in danger and the contract extension is a big vote of confidence.
"With this extension we have made it clear that Mazzarri is a cornerstone of our project," said Thohir, who headed the consortium that in October made Inter Serie A's second foreign-controlled club after AS Roma.
"I'm confident with the hard work and dedication he has shown he'll achieve great things at this club".
Mazzarri said he was upbeat about reviving Inter's fortunes.
"I hope to be able to repay the faith shown in me with my work on the pitch," said the 52-year-old Tuscan native, who has also coached Sampdoria, among other sides. "I'll do everything in my power to get Inter back where the club belongs in Italy and Europe".