Apple News Facebook Twitter 新浪微博 Instagram YouTube Friday, Mar 13, 2020
Search
Archive
English>>

McLaren withdraws from Aussie GP following member tested positive of COVID-19

(Xinhua)    10:30, March 13, 2020

SYDNEY, March 12 (Xinhua) -- Mclaren became the first team withdrew from the 2020 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix after a team member was tested positive for the COVID-19.

The team said in a statement on its twitter that the team member was tested and self-isolated as soon as he started to show symptoms and will now be treated by local healthcare authorities.

Australian Grand Prix Corporation CEO Andrew Westacott confirmed on Wednesday that three F1 team personnel are undergoing test and self-isolation. The number of cases under investigation rose to eight according to media reports on Thursday. Besides McLaren, the team Haas and unnamed teams also have staff waiting for the test results.

According to the statement from McLaren, the team already informed the F1 and the FIA of the decision. "The decision has been taken based on a duty of care not only to McLaren F1 employees ad partners, but also to the team's competitors, F1 fans and wider F1 stakeholders," it said.

The four-day event inaugurated on Thursday amid concern of spreading COVID-19 epidemic. There had earlier been concerns about whether Ferrari would take their place on the venue due to fears about their members being exposed to the coronavirus outbreak in Italy.

The confirmed cases in the state of Victoria, where the Albert Park sits, reached 27 till Thursday, according to the state's health department.

(For the latest China news, Please follow People's Daily on Twitter and Facebook)(Web editor: He Zhuoyan, Liang Jun)

Add your comment

Related reading

We Recommend

Most Read

Key Words