|Help | Sitemap | Archive | Advanced Search|
|Voice of Readers|
|China At a Glance|
|Constitution of the PRC|
|CPC and State Organs|
|Chinese President Jiang Zemin|
|White Papers of Chinese Government|
|Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping|
|English Websites in China|
|Friday, July 20, 2001, updated at 15:12(GMT+8)|
69 Killed, 85 Injured in Dynamite Explosion in Shaanxi ProvinceThe death toll from a blast in northwestern China caused by illegally stored explosives has risen to 69, state television reported Thursday.
China Central Television said 22 more bodies had been found in the village of Mafang in northern Shaanxi province. According to early report, 47 people had been killed in the blast early on Monday.
Thursday's television report said 85 people had been injured.
Police are seeking a woman, Li Aizhen, in connection with the explosion.
An officer with Yulin city Public Security Bureau said that in addition to Li, police were also searching for other people suspected of making or storing explosives.
Li was named as the second suspect wanted in connection with the blast. Ma Shiping, owner of the explosives, had surrendered on Wednesday. His brother, Ma Shigui, whose cave house was used to store the dynamite, was killed in the blast.
A police officer in Hengshan county where Mafang village is located Thursday said Ma Shiping hid in an orchard for two days.
Provincial Government had set aside 750,000 yuan (US$90361) as emergency relief funds for villagers. A total of 120 temporary tents were also distributed to villagers who lost their cave houses in the blast.
In This Section
|Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved||| Mirror in U.S. | Mirror in Japan | Mirror in Edu-Net | Mirror in Tech-Net ||