Latest News:  
Beijing   Cloudy/Sunny    5 / -4   City Forecast

People's Daily Online>>China Society

HK to complete its first 'carbon neutral' building

By Zeng Fanjuan (People's Daily Overseas Edition)

16:34, December 13, 2011

Edited and translated by People's Daily Online

In order to demonstrate the most advanced environmentally-friendly architectural design and technologies and improve residents' knowledge of low-carbon and sustainable lifestyle, the first “zero carbon building” of Hong Kong was jointly constructed by the Hong Kong Construction Industry Council and Hong Kong government, which will be completed and put into service in 2012.

The “zero carbon building,” built with an investment of 240 million H. K. dollars, adopted 90 top-class carbon reduction and energy conservation technologies. It will generate electricity by using renewable energies, such as bio-diesel and solar energy. The building will be able to not only satisfy its own energy need but also transfer the extra energy into the public power grid. Its energy utilization ratio will be higher than 70 percent.

Director of the Special Zero Carbon Building Group under the Hong Kong Construction Industry Council Yu Hui Wei said about 70 percent of the power of the “zero carbon building” will be generated by the bio-diesel and the rest 30 percent will be generated by solar energy.

Yu said the building will be able to supply 80 megawatts of electric power to the public power grid on average. After the building is completed, it will reduce the emission of greenhouse gases by 8,250 tons in 50 years.

【1】 【2】


 
 
 
 
We Recommend
 
 
 

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:韩莎莎)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name

  

Selections for you


  1. 15 killed in China school bus crash

  2. Suzhou Lion Grove Garden

  3. Cast of "Flying Swords of Dragon Gate"

  4. China opens meeting on 2012 economic policies

Most Popular

Opinions

  1. Durban climate talks end with last-minute deals
  2. Navy on imperative route to power through reform
  3. Durban shows West's two-tiered worldview
  4. Security heaviest force in Sino-Japanese ties
  5. China's accession to WTO worth celebrating
  6. Doubts linger over EU efforts to curb debt crisis
  7. Durban should maintain two-track system
  8. China: Russian election result reflects people's will
  9. Eurozone needs to balance present and future
  10. World over-thinking China's military intentions

What's happening in China

Total throughput of Xiamen Port reaches 130 mln tons

  1. Fresh water 'wasted' in cleaning city buses
  2. Environmental tax gets approval
  3. Competitiveness on the decline
  4. SASAC to crack down on monopolistic SOEs
  5. Succession problem threatens China's family firms

PD Online Data

  1. Yangge in Shaanxi
  2. Gaoqiao in Northern China
  3. The drum dance in Ansai
  4. Shehuo in Baoji City
  5. The dragon dance