Latest News:  
Beijing   Cloudy/Sunny    20 / 31   City Forecast

Home>>China Society

Welcome to my womb

(Global Times)

13:34, August 22, 2011

In China a woman can earn up to 200,000 yuan through being a surrogate. However the practice is illegal on the Chinese mainland. (Photo from Global Times)

After three months of pregnancy, Zong, a native of Sichuan Province, was told by doctors that they could not hear a heartbeat. A miscarriage is a painful experience for any expectant mother; however, for Zong it meant a loss of income.

Zong lost around 180,000 yuan ($28,175) because of the miscarriage. Zong is a surrogate employed by an agency in Shanghai. Because she was facing financial difficulties, Zong accepted the well-paid job that was supposed to take less than one year to finish.

After contacting several surrogacy agencies the Global Times discovered that a surrogate is paid 10 percent of the total amount they are promised upon confirmation of a fetal heartbeat. The surrogate will then be paid in 20 percent increments at five months, seven months and eight months with the final 30 percent paid after the birth.

Before the fetal heartbeat is confirmed, a surrogate mother can only receive a monthly payment of 2,500 yuan. Knowing that her rights are not legally protected as surrogacy is illegal on the Chinese mainland, Zong chose to expose the practices of this underground industry.

The issue was made clear in 2001 when the Ministry of Health issued the Regulation on Human Assisted Reproduction Technology, which prohibits medical institutions and medical workers from conducting any kind of surrogacy treatments. But this market has continued to thrive in the past few years given the ever increasing demand.

According to figures released by the Shanghai Health Bureau earlier this year, around 10 percent of local couples suffer infertility problems, and 1 percent of this group need to rely on surrogacy technology. Furthermore, figures are expected to rise.

While surrogacy agencies were underground and secretive in the past, they are more open today and some even claim to be official surrogacy agencies. Only five years ago there were just a handful of small-scale agencies in the city; however these days competition has grown much fiercer with hundreds of agencies.
【1】 【2】 【3】 【4】 【5】 【6】


Related Reading

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name


Selections for you

  1. Chinese, U.S. vice presidents visit post-quake restoration project in SW China

  2. Window cleaners clean exterior of Oriental Pearl TV Tower

  3. Xinjiang grapes sold to markets far and wide

  4. Libyan rebels control Tripoli

Most Popular


  1. Trickery in the name of philanthropy
  2. Tripoli under siege, but what comes next ?
  3. Government must meet public demand for openness
  4. 'Special Hong Kong' is wish of Chinese society
  5. People's indifference appalling
  6. Joe Biden's visit more than a courtesy call
  7. China needs caution in drive to up gold reserves
  8. China has right to own aircraft carriers
  9. China, US should boost world's confidence

What's happening in China

Wuhan reaches for sky with towering plan

  1. China police probe missing purchased
    Vietnamese wives
  2. China orders "high-handed crackdown" on
    crimes involving minors
  3. Centrally-administered SOEs urged to promote economic development in Xinjiang

PD Online Data

  1. The Li ethnic minority
  2. The Jingpo ethnic minority
  3. The Gelo ethnic minority
  4. The Drung ethnic minority
  5. The Dong ethnic minority