Latest News:  
Beijing   Cloudy    30 / 20   City Forecast

Home>>China Society

Toy story shows quality and value can be successful

(China Daily)

16:49, August 19, 2011

When Hu Lantian launched her toy bears in Shenzhen seven years ago, she knew her product had to be vastly superior to the millions of other toys being produced in the southern manufacturing hub.

"About 90 percent of the toymakers here are involved in low-cost manufacturing. But we are part of the remaining 10 percent that deal with innovation," said Hu, an executive at Shenzhen PP Bear Industry Investment.

Hu's bears, which interact with children by imitating human expressions, have proved to be a hit with Chinese consumers. One year saw the company bring in more than 20 million yuan ($3.1 million) and it sold up to 300,000 of the bears in 2008 alone, when other toymakers in the area were facing a tough business climate.

US entertainment giant Disney approached her for opportunities to work together but she refused, Hu said. "We knew we had to create a niche for ourselves and have a brand of our own if we wanted to stay competitive and be higher up on the value chain."

Her company holds more than 20 patents, including a crucial one for the microchip that controls her bears' actions. Hu employs about 20 people to design, research and market her bears, outsourcing production to factories in the region.

"We are 'created in China', not just 'made in China'. It's a matter of using your brain and not just relying on manual labor," she said.

A list of challenges

Hu is an example of what authorities and businesses are offering to solve the problems facing Guangdong province's Pearl River Delta region. The delta became an engine of China's economic growth over three decades through its low-cost, labor-intensive and export-oriented manufacturing in industries such as textile, toys, electronics and plastics. Industry figures show that, including Hong Kong players, the region's toymakers account for more than 70 percent of global toy production.

Shenzhen, which borders Hong Kong, became a special economic zone following the country's reform and opening-up in the late 1970s. Guangdong's data are impressive: 104 million people; exports that account for more than a quarter of national total trade volume; growth in gross domestic product exceeding 10 percent a year for three decades; $21 billion in foreign direct investment last year, one-fifth of the total for China.

But the factors behind that economic success have also fueled concerns that the Pearl River Delta needs to upgrade to survive the next stage of development.

【1】 【2】

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:梁军)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name

  

Selections for you


  1. Lakme Fashion Week: Day 2

  2. Chinese calligraphy exhibition held in Geneva

  3. China Int'l Rainforest Challenge 2011

  4. Drought hits China's Guizhou Province

Most Popular

Opinions

  1. People's indifference appalling
  2. Joe Biden's visit more than a courtesy call
  3. China needs caution in drive to up gold reserves
  4. China has right to own aircraft carriers
  5. China, US should boost world's confidence
  6. How will China cope with US debt crisis?
  7. Will Biden's China visit boost China-U.S. relations?
  8. US weapon sales to Taiwan hurt Chinese feeling
  9. Hedge-style East Asian model does not fit China
  10. Guard against impulsive coverage of aircraft carrier

What's happening in China

Chinese translations often drop tricky references

  1. 'hiPhone' now a hot commodity on Taobao
  2. Toy story shows quality, value can be successful
  3. Forbidden City loses 100 books
  4. The Road of History: Wukang Road in Shanghai
  5. Apple stores in Beijing sued

PD Online Data

  1. The Achang ethnic minority
  2. The Tartar ethnic minority
  3. The Xibe ethnic minority
  4. The Miao ethnic minority
  5. The Maonan ethnic minority