Latest News:  
Beijing   Sunny/Cloudy    16 / 8   City Forecast

Home>>Life & Culture >> Culture

New Yorkers hold post-snow Halloween parade

(Xinhua)

08:57, November 02, 2011

NEW YORK, Oct. 31 (Xinhua) -- One day after the first pre-Halloween snow in over 100 years, New Yorkers enjoyed their 39th annual Village Halloween Parade Monday night, which is funny and spooky with a bit of anti-Wall Street flavor.

With the event theme of "the I of the Beholder", this year's parade featured a cloud of floating eye-shaped objects up in the sky above the Sixth Avenue, as bunches of "skeletons" and "spirits" occupied the ground below. Tens of thousands of people cheered from sidewalk of the streets, defying freezing cold after a rare October snowstorm last weekend.

The disembodied "eyes" evoke the modern anxiety of surveillance, said Jordan Matthews, son of Jeanne Fleming, art director of the parade.

After the 9/11 terror attacks, Americans are subjected to more and more surveillance from the authorities, he said.

With the thriving of social media, however, people revel in their own reflections with every Youtube uploaded and every Facebook post, thus becoming their own surveillants, added Matthews.

Not surprisingly, this year's parade saw anti-Wall Street protesters in their sarcastic costumes, who dotted the Six Avenue in lower Manhattan. Instead of dressing like a monster or vampire, some of them wore business suits and top hats as the symbol of capitalism, holding placards that say "occupied, hey 99 percent get off of me" or "I am broke". Recent statistics show that 1 percent of the U.S. population is getting richer faster, widening the wealth gap with the rest poor 99 percent.

A traditional Chinese lion and dragon dance group also attracted a lot of audience during the event.

 
 
     
 
 
 
     
 
 
 
  We Recommend  
 
 
 
     
 
 


Email|Print|Comments(Editor:燕勐)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name

  

Selections for you


  1. War forces Libya's children to grow up fast

  2. Int'l Industry Fair 2011 kicks off in Shanghai

  3. Shenzhou-8 takes off for crucial space mission

  4. China’s first space docking mission

Most Popular

What's happening in China

Obese boy trying back to normal life

  1. 'Population crisis' looms in Taiwan
  2. Aviation Academy uses new training sim
  3. Taiwan to outlaw teacher-student romance
  4. Shanghai Handbook to be launched worldwide
  5. Wind tunnel test capacity makes great progress

PD Online Data

  1. Tangerines and oranges
  2. Dried persimmon cake
  3. Guangdong candy
  4. Tangyuan
  5. What do Chinese eat during the Spring Festival?