Latest News:  
Beijing   Overcast/Sunny    12 / 1   City Forecast

People's Daily Online>>Opinion

Netizen reaction mixed to Youku, Tudou deal

(People's Daily Online)

16:49, March 13, 2012

Edited and translated by Li Kunlun, People's Daily Online

China's two largest online video companies Youku.com and Tudou.com will merge to forge a combined entity named Youku Tudou Inc.

Once the deal is completed, Youku shareholders and holders of American depositary shares (ADS) will win about 71.5 percent of the new entity, and Tudou will get the remaining 28.5 percent.

Despite cheer, some Chinese netizens showed their worries about the potential problem of monopoly after this China's biggest internet industry deal was officially announced on Monday.

A person nicknamed Imx wrote on smth, one of China's biggest bulletin board systems, "We need to protest against monopoly. In the past, I would turn to Tudou when Youku didn't work, and vice versa. However, after acquisition, there will be no alternative."

"Don't imagine the businessmen are of conscience. They are only concerned about profits and developments for themselves," a user named csheng520 commented on Sina Weibo, China's twitter-like service.

"Youku and Tudou used to be incompatible as fire and water. However, it is suddenly announced that rivalries will 'get married'. A number of people start to express their belief of love," a viewer made a joke in the message on Youku's website. Another commented, "Youku and Tudou will benefit from each other, but their competitor will suffer."

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:叶欣)

Leave your comment3 comments

  1. Name

Benson Kowk at 2012-03-22211.139.232.*
wish the new company be stronger, be able to win more fans all over the world.
McKechnie at 2012-03-1664.231.163.*
It doesn"t matter to me. I use youtube. Much better.
PD User at 2012-03-1494.195.123.*
It"s bad. In the long run monopoly not only will result in higher prices for consumers but also kill democracy.
  

Selections for you


  1. Century-old Nanjing W. Railway Station to go into history

  2. Yunnan forest fire rekindled

  3. Rivers polluted, water tainted in Zhejiang province

  4. Last tribe in China: Wengding tribe in Yunan

Most Popular

Opinions

  1. Prevent nuclear terrorism
  2. Conditions needed for Annan's peace mission
  3. Will Syria crisis be transformed into an opportunity?
  4. Chinese economy will not suffer a hard landing
  5. Monk move in Nansha Islands new ploy by Vietnam
  6. Protectionism cannot save U.S. auto industry
  7. China continues to promote peace in Afghanistan
  8. Nuclear security cooperation
  9. Arms race will happen, but who to blame?
  10. Why China can't persuade N.Korea alone

What's happening in China

2012 Taipei Int'l Bakery Show kicks off

  1. 'Beautiful' billionaire goes missing
  2. Five die, 17 missing in mine blast
  3. Lid to be put on coal output
  4. 25,000 affected by persistent snowfall in SW China
  5. Housing prices to drop in Guangdong this year

PD Online Data

  1. Spring Festival
  2. Chinese ethnic odyssey
  3. Yangge in Shaanxi
  4. Gaoqiao in Northern China
  5. The drum dance in Ansai