Latest News:  
Beijing   Sunny    29 / 17 ℃  City Forecast

English>>China Business

Shareholders approve merger of video firms

(Xinhua)

08:13, August 22, 2012

BEIJING, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- Shareholders of Chinese largest online video providers -- Youku Inc. and Tudou Holdings Ltd. -- have approved the merger of the two companies.

The deal received shareholder backing on Monday, after the proposal was initially announced in March.

Once all procedures are completed, Tudou will become a privately held company and a wholly owned subsidiary of Youku. The business will be called "Youku Tudou Inc."

Both companies reported net losses last year. Tudou had a deficit of 511.2 million yuan for the fiscal year of 2011, while Youku reported Monday, losses of 172.1 million yuan.

As a result of the merger, Tudou's American depositary shares will no longer be listed on the Nasdaq Global Market.

The deal between the online video rivals came after the pair agreed to merge through a 100 percent stock swap to forge a combined organisation.

According to the agreement, Youku shareholders and holders of its American depositary shares will own about 71.5 percent of the new business, and those of Tudou will get the remaining 28.5 percent.

China's online video watchers totaled 325 million in 2011, accounting for 63.4 percent of the country's overall Internet users, official data showed.

Meanwhile, the market value of the online video industry almost doubled in 2011 to hit 6.27 billion yuan (about 1 billion U.S. dollars).

The industry is providing Internet users with a range of films, TV dramas and other video clips.

News we recommend:
Prices fly for Angry Birds' merchandise Wine imports give Chinese firms a hangover Spirited into the world of e-commerce
E-shopping fuels domestic consumption China's firms bigger but not necessarily better China's beauty industry profits from a makeover
Taxing times for China's tax reformers  Experts divided on yuan’s future [Audio]Soccer in China Part III: The Business Side

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:李倩、厉振羽)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name

  

Selections for you


  1. Officers and men in live-ammunition tactical drill

  2. Uncover the secret of gold bars production

  3. Taxing times for China's tax reformers

  4. Hong Kong ready for Paralympics

  5. sexy bikini - on the beach

  6. How to marry a billionaire

Most Popular

Opinions

  1. EU, China extend hands of friendship
  2. Editorial: Rules for stock market
  3. U.S.-S. Korea drills harmful to regional stability
  4. Wake-up call for industry
  5. Is Romney trounced, or has more tricks?
  6. Commentary: Meet the new consumers
  7. Medicare row escalates with Romney's VP pick
  8. New UN envoy's appointment last ditch for Syria
  9. Stock markets remain a depressing drag
  10. ASEAN, China should maintain regional stability

What's happening in China

Lhasa ranks at top of residents' happiness list

  1. Officers and men in live-ammunition tactical drill
  2. Many workers face extended probation period
  3. Free Qixi Festival events canceled
  4. Three Gorges Dam sees new round of flooding
  5. Amusement parks boost real estate market

China Features

  1. Japan stuck in neighbors' anger
  2. Is China's low-cost era approaching its end?
  3. Chinese firms provided one-stop services in U.S.
  4. Don't store bread and biscuits together
  5. Eat ducks during Chushu (Stopping the heat)

PD Online Data

  1. Spring Festival
  2. Chinese ethnic odyssey
  3. Yangge in Shaanxi
  4. Gaoqiao in Northern China
  5. The drum dance in Ansai