PHNOM PENH, Feb. 14 (Xinhua) -- At least 49 Cambodians died and 318 others were hospitalized by drinking home-made rice wine, a health official said on Tuesday.
Sok Touch, director of communication disease control department of the Health Ministry, said that 49 Cambodians had died and 318 others were hospitalized by drinking home-made rice wine in the country between October 2010 and by Jan. 31, 2012.
Among those who had died, there were 31 men and 18 women, while there were 276 men and 42 were women among those who were hospitalized.
Sok Touch said that the incidents occurred in seven provinces and a city including Pursat, Siem Reap, Kratie, Kompong Cham, Prey Veng, Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh.
Recently, Mam Bunheng, minister of health has appealed to those wine addicts to abandon or reduce drinking home-made rice wine otherwise they will face their health risk or even to their lives.
In October last year, more than 10 Cambodians died in two different provinces in the country owing to drinking rice wine. It was believed that the wine was contaminated with methanol.