Latest News:  
Beijing   Cloudy/Overcast    0 / 5   City Forecast

People's Daily Online>>World

Mongolia aims to continue fight against AIDS

(Xinhua)

09:46, December 02, 2011

ULAN BATOR, Dec. 1 (Xinhua) -- Mongolia will continue to curb the spread of HIV and strive to maintain a low prevalence of the AIDS epidemic, a government official said Thursday.

Gansukh Battulga, an official with the National Committee on AIDS, told Xinhua that Mongolia is currently an HIV low-prevalence country with a total of 99 people, 15 of whom have died, infected with the virus that causes AIDS.

"Among the 99 HIV infected cases, 81 percent are men, and the remaining 19 percent are women," Battulga said. "Among the male infected cases, 83 percent belong to MSM (men who have sex with men) group while sex workers account for 54 percent of the female infected cases."

The official said the government has launched a variety of programs and tasked the National Committee on AIDS to coordinate all organizations in fighting the epidemic.

According to a National Strategy Plan for 2010-2015, Mongolia will strive to maintain its current low HIV-prevalence rate of below 5 percent in the most-at-risk population.

Email|Print|Comments(Editor:实习生2)

Leave your comment0 comments

  1. Name

  

Selections for you


  1. Medvedev, Putin meet supporters in Moscow

  2. Oh deer, I think I love you

  3. Beijing experiences its 1st snow this winter

  4. Black-headed gulls migrate from Siberia to China's Kunming

Most Popular

Opinions

  1. Why is China's financial sector going global?
  2. World needs safety net against euro crisis
  3. US-Pakistan anti-terrorism coalition close to collapse
  4. China's schools on the way up
  5. What is to be done with Syria?
  6. UK mass strike shows steep learning curve
  7. China-Myanmar ties challenged by US moves
  8. China and India mustn't go for the throat
  9. Germany needs wisdom to save euro
  10. Egypt's chaos: No end in sight

What's happening in China

Full of the joys of life in prison

  1. Beijing revising housing rules
  2. Hospital head dismissed over baby scandal
  3. Injured in stable condition after blast kills two
  4. Yachting sector surfing a wave of high interest
  5. 6 schoolchildren hurt in minibus rollover accident

PD Online Data

  1. The lion dance in Guangzhou
  2. The flower fair in Guangzhou
  3. Lion dances pay New Year calls in Guilin
  4. Jiangsu´s special New Year traditions
  5. Hakka traditions in Spring Festival