Denmark claims H1N1 epidemic is over for now

10:11, December 24, 2009      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Denmark on Tuesday announced that the H1N1 epidemic in the country is over for now with 23 deaths, according to news reaching here from Copenhagen.
A report from the Politiken quoted Kare Molbak of the national Statens Serum Institut as saying that some 300 thousand Danes have been affected and 1000 of whom hospitalized.

But now the authorities declared the epidemic is over and the National Bard of Health has now closed its hotline for concerned Danes, said the report.
But Statens Serum Institut warns a risk of a third wave of H1N1 in January or February, although it is expected to be a mild form of the flu, the report said.

So far, a total of 1,652 people died of the flu in Europe and 10,388 in the rest of the world.

The United Kingdom has been hardest hit in Europe with 298 deaths, with 232 in Spain, 196 in France and 178 in Italy while 29 have died in Norway and 20 in Sweden.

By Xuefei Chen, People’s Daily Online, Stockholm.
  • Do you have anything to say?
Special Coverage
  • Top 10 International Stories 2009
  • Top 10 Political Figures in spotlight 2009
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Featured trees in NY usher in Christmas Eve
  • US plane overshoots Jamaica runway, dozens hurt
  • 21,068 Tibetans benefit from safe drinking water project in Lhasa
  • Top 10 web celebrities of 2009
  • Cold snap hits N China, disrupting power, heat supplies
  • Schumacher signs to race for Mercedes
Most Popular
Hot Forum Dicussion