Text Version
RSS Feeds
Newsletter
Home Forum Photos Features Newsletter Archive Employment
About US Help Site Map
SEARCH   About US FAQ Site Map Site News
  SERVICES
  -Text Version
  -RSS Feeds
  -Newsletter
  -News Archive
  -Give us feedback
  -Voices of Readers
  -Online community
  -China Biz info
  What's new
 -
 -
Online survey: Over 80% French back repatriation of looted Chinese bronzes
+ -
15:19, March 05, 2009

Click the "PLAY" button and listen. Do you like the online audio service here?
Good, I like it
Just so so
I don't like it
No interest
 Related News
 Chinese lawyers abroad form alliance for return of lost cultural relics
 Chinese winner of looted relics auction decounces Christie's
 Feature: Auction of looted Chinese relics hurts China's cultural rights
 China tightens control on Christie's after auction
 China condemns Christie's sculpture sale, warns of "serious effects"
 Comment  Tell A Friend
 Print Format  Save Article
An online survey showed that more than 80 percent of French respondents hold the looted Chinese bronze sculptures should be returned to where they came from.

Le Figaro newspaper's website organized the survey Monday as a Chinese man said he would not pay the 31.49 million euros (39.63 million U.S. dollars) he bid for the 18th Century bronze heads of a rat and a rabbit, the Nouvelles d'Europe daily reported Wednesday.

To answer the survey question "Do you agree Pierre Berge (the current owner of the bronzes) should return the two bronzes to China as Beijing requested," 81.5 percent of the 51,680 respondents said "Yes", while 18.5 percent said "No".

"We should understand why they want the two bronzes back ... Just think about how it came to France," commented a respondent.

Christie's held auctions on the two bronze animal heads on Feb.25 over China's objections.

Cai Mingchao, a Chinese antique collector, announced that he won the bid by telephone and the payment will not be made.

The sculptures of 12 animal heads disappeared when the Old Summer Palace (Yuanmingyuan) in Beijing was burned down by Anglo-French allied forces during the Second Opium War in 1860.

So far, five of the bronzes have been returned, while the whereabouts of five others are unknown.

Source: Xinhua



  Your Message:   Most Commented:
British boy becomes father at 13 
Full Text of Human Rights Record of United States in 2008
Looted Chinese relics sold for 14 million euros each
China hits back with report on U.S. human rights record
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrives in Beijing for China visit

|About Peopledaily.com.cn | Advertise on site | Contact us | Site map | Job offer|
Copyright by People's Daily Online, All Rights Reserved

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90782/90873/6607161.pdf