Text Version
RSS Feeds
Newsletter
Home Forum Photos Features Newsletter Archive Employment
About US Help Site Map
SEARCH   About US FAQ Site Map Site News
  SERVICES
  -Text Version
  -RSS Feeds
  -Newsletter
  -News Archive
  -Give us feedback
  -Voices of Readers
  -Online community
  -China Biz info
  What's new
 -
 -
Death toll rises to 38 in SW China earthquake
+ -
16:12, September 01, 2008

 Related News
 All 3.4 mln students in May 12 quake zone to return to school
 Death toll from magnitude-6.1 quake jumps to 32 in SW China
 Death toll from magnitude-6.1 quake jumps to 32 in SW China
 All 3.4 mln students in May 12 quake zone to return to school
 M5.1 earthquake hits Taiwan
 Comment  Tell A Friend
 Print Format  Save Article
The death toll in Saturday's 6.1-magnitude quake in Sichuan and Yunnan has risen to 38, according to local authorities.

Huili County, the worst-hit region in Sichuan, registered five more deaths as of 8 a.m. Monday, raising the death toll to 32 in the province. A total of 321 people were injured in the county, statistics from the quake-relief headquarters showed.

The county reported 20 deaths before Monday.

The publicity department of Chuxiong Autonomous Prefecture of Yi Nationality, one of the quake-hit areas in Yunnan, said one more body was retrieved Sunday evening there, adding up the death toll to six in the province.


Firefighters dig, bare-handed, two bodies out of the debris in quake-hit Huili county in Sichuan Province August 31, 2008. Death toll from the 6.1-magnitude earthquake has risen to 38 in Sichuan and Yunnan, and more than 400 were injured.(Xinhua Photo)

Latest investigations showed that 195 people were injured in the prefecture, including 47 serious. More than 300,000 people were affected as houses of nearly 13,000 households were destroyed or damaged.

Nearly 3,700 people had moved to safe places with help from 1,100 police officers. More than 900 medical workers helped with first aid, disease control, medicine and equipment supply campaigns.

The Ministry of Civil Affairs announced Sunday night that the quake killed at least 32 people and destroyed some 258,000 houses after jolting parts of Sichuan and Yunnan.

A total of 467 were injured and about 152,000 people were evacuated, it said.

Areas affected by the quake were Panzhihua and Huili, both in Sichuan, and autonomous prefectures of Chuxiong Dali, Lijiang and Zhaotong cities, all in Yunnan Province. Kunming, capital of Yunnan, was also hit.

Most of the fatalities were in Huili, Chuxiong and Panzhihua, which sit on the southern end of the fault line of the May 12 quake that left more than 69,000 people dead and nearly 18,000 missing.

In Panzhihua along, five deaths and 132 injury cases were registered and more than 32,000 people were evacuated for safety concerns. More than 1,800 houses collapsed and nearly 100,000 others were shattered. Many bridges, roads and reservoirs were damaged, according to the disaster-relief headquarters.

In the quake zones, more than 300 aftershocks had been monitored as of Sunday afternoon, but the occurrence of tremors above 6.0-magnitude is unlikely in the next two weeks, a seismologist said.

Source: Xinhua



  Your Message:   Most Commented:
U.S. congressman opposes House resolution on China 
Tiny singer wins heart of nation
Two suspected terrorists identified in W China's Xinjiang
To foreign friends: Experience the real China
French president: Beijing Olympics to achieve success of world renown 

|About Peopledaily.com.cn | Advertise on site | Contact us | Site map | Job offer|
Copyright by People's Daily Online, All Rights Reserved

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90782/90872/6490796.pdf