China announced its top 10 achievements in scientific and technological progress in 2007 on Sunday. A total of 547 academicians from the Chinese Academy of Science and Chinese Academy of Engineering participated in the voting.
1. "Chang'e-1" successfully launched and clear moon surface images obtained
Comments: the lunar exploration project is the third milestone in China's space accomplishments following the man-made earth satellite and the manned space flight. It has placed China among the ranks of the world's few nations with deep space exploration capabilities.
2. Ultra-deep drilling rig successfully developed
Baoji Oilfield Machinery Co., Ltd. successfully developed China's first 12,000-m ultra-deep drilling rig with independent intellectual property rights. This is the first 12,000-m land AC variable frequency electric rig developed in the nation and in the world.
Comments: This world's most technologically advanced ultra-deep, land-drilling rig will promote China's exploration technology in deep terrestrial and marine oil and gas fields, large displacement wells and other complex ultra-deep oil and gas fields.
3. Cancer treatment study made significant progress
A research team led by biophysical researchers with the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Liang Wei and Hang Haiying, published their research paper about "nano-micelles delivering chemotherapeutic drugs directly to cancer cells" in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute of the United States on July 4th. Chen Yan's research group with the Shanghai Institute of Life Sciences, under the Chinese Academy of Sciences, also published a research report on the discovery of a new target for cancer treatment.
Comments: Nano-micelles 10-20 nanometers in diameter can carry chemotherapy; and simultaneously, enhance the anti-tumor effects of drugs and lowering toxicity. The new target for cancer treatment suggests new ideas for related research.
4. Six-atom Schrodinger "cat" state achieved
Comments: The results show that China remains an international leader of research in the field of multi-particles.
5. Fossils of dormant animal eggs from 632 million years ago found
Comments: This discovery provides the earliest reliable animal fossil records to date; and has proven the existence of animals as far back as 632 million years ago, pushing animal fossil records back 50 million years.
6. First domestically-developed regional plane rolled out of the workshop
Comments: The successful development of the ARJ21 marked China's development of new regional aircrafts. Since then, the Chinese plane has taken its place among the world's civilian aircrafts.
7. World's largest bird-like dinosaur fossil found
Chinese scientists found the fossils of a giant theropod (beast-footed dinosaur) in 8,000 year old sedimentary rock in the Erlian Basin of Inner Mongolia. The dinosaur is about 8 meters in length, and stands more than 5 meters high. It is comparable to the famous tyrannosaurus in figure, and weighs approximately 1,400 kg.
Comments: Chinese scientists have confirmed it as the world's largest bird-like dinosaur fossil.
8. Breakdown of the Born-Oppenheimer Approximation in the interaction of fluorine and deuterium atoms discovered
Comments: The new discovery resolved a longstanding problem in the field of chemical dynamics. It is a significant academic breakthrough in the kinetics study of the non-adiabatic process.
9. First wildlife germplasm bank established
As one of the major national science projects, the Wildlife germplasm resource bank, in Southwest China, was established at the Kunming Institute of Botany, under the Chinese Academy of Sciences. After its completion, the resource bank will include a seed bank, vitro plant germplasm resource bank, DNA bank, and microbial seed bank. It will collect and preserve 190,000 copies (strains) of 19,000 varieties of germplasm resources.
Comments: The germplasm bank will provide conditions conducive to the protection, research and rational use of China's wildlife germplasm resources.
10. Record high yield of new soybean variety: 371.8 kg/mu
Comments: This is a record high in China's soybean yield in the 21st Century. This soybean species contains 23.45% oil.
In addition, the academicians voted for the world's top ten achievements of scientific and technological progress in 2007:
1. Development of embryonic stem cells using human skin cells
2. Discovery of Earth-like extra-solar planets
3. Confirmation of global warming as an indisputable fact
4. Graphics drawn for dark matter in universe
5. Successful tracing of the photon
6. Discovery of many genes that cause various diseases
7. Accomplishment of the first "genome transplant" in living organisms
8. Creation of a DNA brake
9. Progress in new energy research and development technologies
10. Achievement of a record in quantum communications distance
By People's Daily Online