Spanish star Valverde banned until end of 2011

09:33, June 02, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Alejandro Valverde will miss the next two editions of the Tour de France after the Spaniard was given a two-year ban by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Monday for violation of anti-doping rules.

CAS imposed the ban, backdated to start Jan. 1, after accepting evidence which linked the Tour of Spain champion to the Operation Puerto anti-doping investigation.

The decision followed an appeal launched by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the International Cycling Union (UCI) back in 2007 against the Spanish cycling federation's failure to act against Valverde over findings from the investigation.

Valverde was unable to take part in last year's Tour de France because it passed through Italy, where he is already serving a two-year ban over the same case.

"In its decision, the CAS panel found, by a majority, that it could use the evidence collected in the course of Operation Puerto for the purpose of CAS arbitration," said a CAS statement.

"The CAS panel also found, by a majority, that the scientific evidence... was sufficient to conclude that Valverde committed an anti-doping rule violation, considering that Valverde's blood contained EPO, a prohibited substance."

However, CAS said his results before Jan 1 would be allowed to stand.

"CAS considered that there was no evidence that any of the results obtained by Valverde prior to January 1, 2010, was through doping infraction and decided that the appellants' request to annul those results should be denied."

Valverde issued a statement saying he would appeal the ruling: "CAS have recognized that all Valverde's victories have been achieved through fair play ... he has never given a positive in a dope test. We consider the punishment totally unjust and illegal.

"For this reason we will appeal against it to the Swiss Federal Tribunal, the highest Swiss body, whose decisions can be appealed to European Court of Human Rights."

Operation Puerto was launched after raids in Madrid and Zaragoza, where police found large quantities of anabolic steroids, laboratory equipment used for blood transfusions and more than 200 bags of code-named blood, some of which were linked to leading cyclists.

Spain's Civil Guard listed more than 50 riders implicated in the affair.

In August 2007, the UCI asked the Spanish cycling federation to start proceedings against Valverde on the basis of evidence from the operation, including "blood bag number 18", which allegedly contained Valverde's blood, CAS said.

Shortly afterwards, the Spanish federation turned down the request, prompting the appeal to CAS.

However, Italian authorities later opened disciplinary proceedings against Valverde saying blood samples Valverde gave at a doping control in 2008 - when the Tour de France entered Italy - matched DNA from code-named bags of blood discovered in Operation Puerto,

In May last year, the Italian Olympic Committee banned Valverde from racing in the country for two years.

Valverde appealed to CAS against the Italian ban but lost the case in March.

"The UCI has noted the CAS decision with satisfaction," said the UCI.

"The UCI and cycling together have certainly suffered considerably in this affair and the damage caused by the behavior of Valverde cannot by entirely compensated by the statutory penalty," it said, adding the situation had become untenable.

The UCI said Valverde's results since Jan 1 would be annulled and he would be ordered to pay back any prizemoney.

In his statement, Valverde also contested the UCI statement about his results since Jan 1. saying CAS had clearly stated all his past results would stand up until today as he had been passed as clean in all those races.

Source:China Daily

(Editor:intern1)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • A ceremony is held in Taipei, southeast China's Taiwan, on Sept. 28, 2011, to commemorate the 2,562nd birthday of Confucius (551-479 BC), a Chinese thinker, educationist and philosopher. (Xinhua/Wu Ching-teng)
  • The world's first Boeing 787 Dreamliner for delivery arrives at Haneda airport in Tokyo, capital of Japan, on Sept. 28, 2011. The Boeing 787 Dreamliner, whose buyer is All Nippon Airways (ANA), will implement a flight of ANA on Oct. 26 from Tokyo's Narita Airport to Hong Kong in south China. (Xinhua/Ji Chunpeng)
  • A Libyan National Transitional Council (NTC) fighter shows what is believed to be human jawbone found inside a mass grave near Abu Salim prison in Tripoli, Libya, Spet. 27, 2011. The NTC on Sunday said they had found a mass grave containing the bodies of 1,270 people killed by Gaddafi's security forces in a 1996 massacre at Abu Salim prison in southern Tripoli. (Xinhua/Li Muzi)
  • Rescue workers and local residents search for survivors after a building collapsed in old Delhi, India, Sept. 27, 2011. At least 10 people were killed and 35 injured when an old three-storey building collapsed. More than a dozen people are still feared trapped under the debris, police said. (Xinhua/Partha Sarkar)
  • A visitor has flying experience in the windmill castle of Jinshitan National Holiday resort in Dalian, northeast China's Liaoning Province, Sept. 27, 2011. The castle is a 23-meter-high building with 21 meters in diameter. The castle uses wind tunnel to make objects floating in the air. It is the first indoor stadium in China, which enables people to have flying experience. (Xinhua/Zhang Chunlei)
  • Forces of the Libyan National Transitional Council (NTC) shoot shells to the fighters loyal to Muammar Gaddafi outside Bani Walid, Libya, Sept. 27, 2011. Bani Walid is still occupied by fighters loyal to Muammar Gaddafi. (Xinhua/Hamza Turkia)
Hot Forum Discussion