Usain Bolt taking rest of 2010 off due to back injury

09:40, August 11, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 


Usain Bolt of Jamaica reacts after he won the men's 100 meters at the IAAF Diamond League athletics meeting at the Stade de France Stadium in Saint-Denis, near Paris July 16, 2010. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)

Olympic and world champion Usain Bolt said on Tuesday he won't race again in 2010 because of tightness in his lower back.

Ricky Simms, the Jamaican's manager, said in an e-mail that the world record-holder at 100 and 200 meters will have treatment to loosen his back and then rest, skipping IAAF Diamond League track and field meets in Zurich on Aug. 19, and in Brussels on Aug. 27.

"It is better for me not to take any risks this year," Bolt said, according to Simms. "2011 and 2012 are very important ... and I hope to be back fully fit and healthy. I ... look forward to coming back stronger next year."

Bolt lost to American Tyson Gay in the 100m on Friday at the DN Galan meet in Stockholm, and it was the first individual race he lost in two years. Gay ran 9.84 seconds, and Bolt finished in 9.97 - nearly 0.40 slower than his record for the 100m.

Simms said Bolt was examined Monday by a doctor in Munich who found the back problem.

"He has a tightness that restricts his ability to generate power in his stride and continuing to race in this condition could risk injury to his hamstrings or calf muscles," Simms wrote.

Simms said the decision to take time off was made "with a view to his future career."

He also said that an MRI exam showed that a previous left Achilles' tendon injury that caused Bolt to take time off earlier this year is healed.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:赵晨雁)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Staff members watch a screen showing the blast-off of the Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center, Sept. 29, 2011. Commander-in-chief of China's manned space program Chang Wanquan announced Thursday night that the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module was successful. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)
  • Chinese President Hu Jintao watches the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center in Beijing, capital of China, Sept. 29, 2011. Other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, including Wu Bangguo, Jia Qinglin, Li Changchun, Xi Jinping, Li Keqiang and Zhou Yongkang, are also present. (Xinhua/Rao Aimin)
  • The graphics shows the launch procedures of the carrier rocket of Tiangong-1 space lab module, Long March-2FT1 on Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Lu Zhe)
  • Image taken from Beijing Aerospace Control Center shows a Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasting off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua)
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
Hot Forum Discussion