Following are the main features of the London 2012 Olympic Stadium as the organizers unveiled its design on Wednesday:
- a sunken bowl built into the ground for the field of play and lower permanent seating, designed to bring spectators close to the action;
- 25,000 permanent seats, 55,000 demountable;
- a cable-supported roof that will stretch 28 meters the whole way around the stadium, providing cover for two-thirds of spectators;
- a fabric curtain will wrap around the stadium structure, acting as additional protection and shelter for spectators;
- facilities such as catering and merchandising will be grouped into self-contained 'pod' structures.