IMF and World Bank meetings show China's rising influence

15:13, April 27, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Backgrounder: Timeline of developing countries' rise in the IMF

The spring meeting of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) revealed signs of China's greater influence in the world economy and marked a major breakthrough in the shift of voting power from developed countries to developing countries.

The meeting also was significant in two other important respects: it showed Asia is playing a significant role in leading the global economic recovery and that each country should cooperate in light of economic uncertainty.

China's voice significantly louder in World Bank

The Development Committee under the World Bank approved the voting power reform plan on April 25. This plan shifts 3 percent of the voting power from developed countries to developing countries, and the developing countries' combined share of voting power will increase from 44 percent to 47 percent. China's voting power in the World Bank will increase to more than 4 percent from nearly 3 percent, making it the third largest shareholder behind only the United States and Japan. China was previously the sixth largest.

In February 2010, the IMF appointed Zhu Min, deputy governor of the People's Bank of China, as the Special Adviser to the IMF chief. Many scholars believe this move implied another rise in the voice and representation of developing countries in global financial institutions after World Bank President Robert Zoellick appointed Justin Lin the chief economist of the World Bank.

Chinese Finance Minister Xie Xuren said the reform approved at the meeting is the first reform in the history of the World Bank that aims to enhance the representation and governance power of developing countries. It marks the stronger economic power and higher international positions of developing countries, sets terrific precedents and will further advance the share reform of the World Bank. Zoellick also said he was proud that the reform has reflected China's increased influence in the world economy.

Li Yiping, an economics professor at Renmin University, said, "As China is becoming increasingly rich, China has a higher position in the international community and a greater voice in international institutions such as the World Bank. However, China will shoulder heavier responsibilities because more shares mean more capital contribution."

Li added that China's outstanding performance during the global financial crisis has won the country the trust of the world. The rise in China's international position was a result of China's excellent performance. Meanwhile, this has posed higher requirements for China. The responsibility China will shoulder should match its position as the third largest shareholder.

【1】 【2】 【3】

(Editor:祁澍文)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • On Sept. 26, a resident passes by a flower terrace decorated for the coming National Day. (Xinhua/Hang Xingwei)
  • The photo, taken on Sept. 26, shows the SWAT team ready for the joint exercise. (Xinhua/Wangkai)
  • Two metro trains in Shanghai collided Tuesday afternoon, and an identified number of passengers were injured in the accident, the Shanghai-based eastday.com reported. Equipment failures were believed to have caused the crash on the Line 10 subway, Xinhua quoted local subway operator as saying.
  • An employee at a gold store in Yiwu, located in east China's Zhejiang province, shows gold jewelry on Monday.(Xinhua/Zhang Jiancheng)
  • Tourists ride camels near China's largest desert lake Hongjiannao in Yulin, north China's Shaanx Province, Sept. 24, 2011. Hongjiannao is shrinking as a result of climate change and human activities, and may vanish in a few decades. Its lake area, which measured more than 6,700 hectares in 1996, has shrunk to 4,180 hectares. Its water level is declining by 20-30 centimeters annually and its water PH value has risen to 9.0-9.42 from 7.4-7.8. (Xinhua/Liu Yu)
  • Actors perform royal dance at the Gyeongbok Palace in Seoul, Sept. 27, 2011. A ceremony commemorating the 38th South Korea Sightseeing Day was held in Gyeongbok Palace on Tuesday. (Xinhua/He Lulu)
Hot Forum Discussion