New Shanghai logistics base gets off to good start

08:35, October 13, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Orient International Logistics officially opened its logistics center on Monday at Yangshan Deepwater Port, part of Shanghai's effort to develop an international shipping center.

The center witnessed smooth operations for the past four months, said Zhu Jianmin, deputy managing director of Orient International Logistics (Holding) Co Ltd.

It handled an average of 1,400 20-foot equivalent units (TEUs) from June to August, with August witnessing a peak of 1,800 TEUs, Zhu said.

"We had more cargo than expected, starting from a good beginning," he said.

The first phase of the center has a 16,000-square-meter warehouse, which can hold 2,400 TEUs. Investment in the center's first phase totaled 100 million yuan ($15 million), said Zhu.

The center is run by the joint venture Orient Golden Fortune International Logistics Co Ltd, in which State-owned enterprises have a 55 percent stake while Hong Kong Golden Fortune Investment (China) Ltd holds the remaining 45 percent.

Orient International Logistics now has four logistics centers in the city, which can handle around 400,000 TEUs annually.

Zhu said the venture has set aside considerable space for its second phase, in which investment is expected to total 50 million yuan.

"We are seeking partners to jointly develop it," he said. Once the second phase is completed, the center is expected to have the capacity to handle 5,000 TEUs a month.

At the moment, it warehouses and packages cargo from domestic customers, mainly textiles, machinery parts and handicrafts, and ships them to Europe and the United States.

"It will act as a platform for logistics services, creating an opportunity for our venture to expand," Zhu said.

Efforts will be made to enlarge the venture's logistics network in the Yangtze Delta region by cooperating with giant shipping companies, he said.

Source:China Daily

(Editor:黄蓓蓓)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Chinese Navy soldiers hold an evening party marking the upcoming 62nd National Day aboard Chinese Navy hospital ship "Peace Ark" in the Pacific on Sept. 28, 2011. The Chinese National Day falls on Oct. 1. (Xinhua/Zha Chunming)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 30, 2011 shows the crowd at the plaza of Beijing Railway Station in Beijing, capital of China. The railway transportation witnessed a travel peak with the approach of the seven-day National Day holidays on Friday. (Xinhua)
  • A man wearing high-heel shoes takes part in the 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event when men literally walk in women's shoes to raise awareness about ending violence against women, at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows a cargo ship in danger on the sea near Zhuhai City, south China's Guangdong Province. Cargo ship Fangzhou 6 of Qingzhou of southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region lost control after water stormed into its cabin due to Typhoon Nesat on the sea near Zhuhai Thursday, leaving 12 crew members in danger. Rescuers rushed to the ship and saved them by using a helicopter. (Xinhua)
  • Actress Gong Li poses for L'Officiel Magazine. (Xinhua Photo)
  • Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street campaign hold placards as they march in the financial district of New York September 29, 2011. After hundreds of protesters were denied access to some areas outside the New York Stock Exchange on September 17, demonstrators set up a rag-tag camp three blocks away. Zuccotti Park is a campground festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. The group is adding complaints of excessive police force against protesters and police treatment of ethnic minorities and Muslims to its grievances list, which includes bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Hot Forum Discussion