High-speed railways boost May Day tourism

14:56, May 04, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

A number of provinces saw major increases in tourism during the May Day holidays this year thanks to newly-constructed high-speed rail lines, according to statistics from provincial tourism bureaus and travel agencies.

High-speed railway travel has become increasingly popular as more high-speed railway lines are opening. Many families considered traveling by high-speed railway as their first choice during the May Day holidays.

The Wuhan-Guangzhou High-speed Railway was opened at end of December last year. Trains departing from Wuhan and Guangzhou are available between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. at half-hour intervals and this high-speed line has become a common means of transportation. Therefore, a popular four-hour tour line between Guangzhou, Changsha and Wuhan will be constructed.

Tourists from Hubei and Hunan provinces who visited scenic spots in Guangzhou increased significantly. At the same time, tourists from Guangdong province who visited Hunan and Hubei provinces also increased. According to statistics from GZL International Travel Service, over 2,500 tourists from Guangzhou booked tours to Hubei and Hunan by using high-speed railways during the May Day holidays, 20 times more than the previous year. The Hubei Holiday Office said the main group of tourists who used high-speed railways to visit Wuhan was from Guangdong province.

In order to relieve traffic pressure during the May Day holidays, 33 pairs of trains were put into operation on the Wuhan-Guangzhou High-speed Railway every day, and additional trains were also put into operation to expand transport capacity, according to Guangzhou Railway Group. According to the railway department's statistics, between April 30 and May 3, the Wuhan-Guangzhou High-speed Railway transported a total of 268,000 passengers. On May 1, the number of passengers reached 82,000, exceeding the peak transport day during the Spring Festival.

During the May Day holiday, the Zhengzhou-Xi'an High-speed Railway, which opened three months earlier, played a crucial role. The railway provided great convenience for commuting passengers. According to preliminary statistics, the number of tourists from Henan to Xi'an increased more than 20 percent over the previous year.

"Because of the Zhengzhou-Xi'an High-speed Railway, the number of tourists during the May Day holidays increased by 30 percent compared to the same period last year and reached over 10,000 daily passengers, a record high in the past four years since the scenic spot's opening," said Chen Jianlin, chairman of the Longtan Valley Scenic Spot in Luoyang, Henan.

Statistics from the Henan Province Tourism Administration shows that during the three days between May 1 and May 3, the province had received a total of about 15 million tourists, up 12 percent compared with the same period last year. The total tourism income stood at nearly 6 billion yuan, up 18 percent over the same period last year. Tourists visiting the Longmen Grottoes and the Millennium City Park increased over 30 percent compared with the same period last year.

By People's Daily Online

(Editor:黄蓓蓓)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • On Sept. 26, a resident passes by a flower terrace decorated for the coming National Day. (Xinhua/Hang Xingwei)
  • The photo, taken on Sept. 26, shows the SWAT team ready for the joint exercise. (Xinhua/Wangkai)
  • Two metro trains in Shanghai collided Tuesday afternoon, and an identified number of passengers were injured in the accident, the Shanghai-based eastday.com reported. Equipment failures were believed to have caused the crash on the Line 10 subway, Xinhua quoted local subway operator as saying.
  • An employee at a gold store in Yiwu, located in east China's Zhejiang province, shows gold jewelry on Monday.(Xinhua/Zhang Jiancheng)
  • Tourists ride camels near China's largest desert lake Hongjiannao in Yulin, north China's Shaanx Province, Sept. 24, 2011. Hongjiannao is shrinking as a result of climate change and human activities, and may vanish in a few decades. Its lake area, which measured more than 6,700 hectares in 1996, has shrunk to 4,180 hectares. Its water level is declining by 20-30 centimeters annually and its water PH value has risen to 9.0-9.42 from 7.4-7.8. (Xinhua/Liu Yu)
  • Actors perform royal dance at the Gyeongbok Palace in Seoul, Sept. 27, 2011. A ceremony commemorating the 38th South Korea Sightseeing Day was held in Gyeongbok Palace on Tuesday. (Xinhua/He Lulu)
Hot Forum Discussion