Shell divests from African downstream businesses

12:18, February 20, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Shell announced Saturday it has agreed to divest the majority of its shareholding in most of its downstream businesses in Africa to Vitol and Helios Investment Partners for a total consideration of some 1 billion U. S. dollars.

Under the agreements, Shell will retain equity in two new joint venture companies, which will assure continued availability of Shell fuels and lubricants in 14 African countries under the Shell brand.

"This is a good deal for our customers as well as for Shell. We will significantly reduce our capital exposure in line with our strategy to concentrate our global downstream footprint, and continue to provide the high quality Shell products that our African customers have come to trust and rely on over many decades, " Mark Williams, Royal Dutch Shell's downstream director, said in a statement issued in Nairobi.

One joint venture will own and operate Shell's existing oil products, distribution and retailing businesses in 14 African countries, with the potential to add five more in future.

Vitol and Helios will hold 80 percent of the venture and Shell will hold the remaining 20 percent.

A separate company, which will be 50 percent owned by Shell and 50 percent by Vitol and Helios, will own Shell's existing lubricants blending plants in seven countries and will manage macro-distributor relationships in each of the countries where the main venture operates, plus a number of others. "We are delighted to have concluded this agreement with Shell and Helios," said Ian Taylor, President and CEO of the Vitol Group.

"Africa is a continent we know well. These two new ventures allow us to invest in Africa and its fast-growing economies, and grow all the businesses under the umbrella of the world-class Shell brand for the benefit of our customers."

The deal covers existing Shell downstream businesses (Retail, Commercial Fuels, Liquefied Petroleum Gas, Lubricants, Bitumen, Aviation and Marine) in Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt (excluding lubricants), Cote d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Senegal, Mali, Guinea, Cape Verde, Kenya, Uganda, Madagascar and Mauritius.

Shell's downstream businesses in Namibia, Botswana, Togo, Tanzania and La Reunion are under review for potential inclusion in the deal at a later date.

"We are pleased to enter into this landmark agreement with our partners, Shell and Vitol," said Tope Lawani, Managing Partner of Helios Investment Partners. "We believe that combining Vitol's world class supply expertise and Helios' deep understanding of the African operating environment with the Shell brand and a highly professional workforce will create significant new growth opportunities for the business, and will ensure the continued supply of high quality products and services for African consumers."

Shell, Vitol and Helios will now concentrate on securing necessary regulatory approvals and integration planning, ahead of a phased completion of the proposed deal during 2011 and the first half of 2012. Shell's fuels, lubricants and refining activities in South Africa, the company's lubricants business in Egypt and its exploration and production businesses, liquefied natural gas interests and most international trading activities in Africa are not part the proposed deal.

Source: Xinhua


  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Focus On China
  • Shanghai World Expo 2010
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Lanterns on sugar canes wish prosperity in New Year
  • German director awarded silver bear for "Sleeping Sickness"
  • Traditional Lianqiao Festival marked in N Beijing village
  • New collections of House of Holland at London Fashion Week
  • Back again, mass migration tests China's rails
  • 9 dead in attack on Afghan Jalalabad bank
Hot Forum Dicussion