Int'l inquiry into deadly Guinea crackdown begins work: UN

10:34, November 19, 2009      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon met Wednesday with the members of the International Commission of Inquiry set up to probe September's violent crackdown on unarmed demonstrators in Guinea, a UN statement said.

The meeting took place ahead of the inquiry team's visit to the West African country next week, said the statement issued here by Ban's spokesperson.

Mohamed Bedjaoui, Francoise Ngendahayo Kayiramirwa and Pramila Patten will be in Guinea from Nov. 25 to Dec. 4, the statement said. They were appointed by the secretary-general last month to lead the investigation into human rights violations that occurred on Sept. 28 in the capital, Conakry, when at least 150 people were killed and many others raped.

"During the meeting, the secretary-general recalled that the commission should work independently in assessing the facts, and make recommendations on accountability measures," said the statement.

The Secretariat of the Commission, supported by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), arrived in Conakryon Nov. 15 and started the work on the ground.

Ban, when he set up the commission, said that he expects it should be able to complete its work within a month once it is in the field.

Guinean President Moussa Dadis Camara and Prime Minister Kabinet Komara have committed in writing to the secretary-general that the authorities of Guinea will cooperate with the commission and facilitate its work.

Source: Xinhua
  • Do you have anything to say?
Special Coverage
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
Most Popular
Hot Forum Dicussion