Seven killed, 30 injured in stampede in Congo's music festival

09:47, July 12, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Seven people died and 30 others were injured in a weekend stampede during a music festival held in Brazzaville, the capital of the Republic of Congo, according to the latest information released by the government.

The tragic happened on Saturday night at the ceremony to open the 8th edition of the Pan-African Music Festival (Fespam).

The revelations were made on Sunday at a press conference by Congolese Culture and Arts Minister Jean Claude Gakosso.

Gakosso said the injured were out of danger, adding that a commission of inquiry had already been put in place to determine the exact cause of this unfortunate situation.

The minister also told reporters that another committee had been set up to prepare for the burial of the dead.

Following this tragedy that happened at the Felix Eboue stadium in Brazzaville where the opening ceremony was taking place, the minister announced that the Congolese government decided to stop the Fespam 2011 edition.

Source:Xinhua
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:刘晓宁)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Vice Premier: China faces "severe task" in preventing and treating AIDS
  • DPRK, China mark 50th anniversary of friendship treaty
  • Maysum charity exhibition: All You Need is Love
  • China launches new data relay satellite
  • U.S. State Secretary meets with EU foreign policy chief
  • Debt reduction "opportunity" for long-term fiscal sustainability: Obama
Hot Forum Discussion