Libyan army says to start ceasefire Sunday night: spokesman

08:25, March 21, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

A Libyan military spokesman announced Sunday a ceasefire starting from 9:00 p.m. local time ( 1900 GMT) following an African Union's call for stopping clashes.

All army units across Libya were told to observe the ceasefire, the spokesman said at a press conference in Tripoli on Sunday.

However, gunshots were still heard in the eastern rebel- controlled city of Benghazi after the ceasefire started, a witness said.

Western warplanes bombed some of the areas in Tripoli Sunday, Libyan state TV reported, showing footage of people injured by the airstrikes.

Libyan state TV said at least 64 civilians had been killed in the attacks.

Heavy anti-aircraft fire was heard in Tripoli on Sunday evening while Western air forces continued to strike the city, said a Xinhua reporter.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon said on Sunday that he hoped the Libyan army would "keep its word" on the new ceasefire.

The Libyan government declared a ceasefire on Friday after UN Security Council authorized to take any necessary measures, including a no-fly zone, to stop his forces harming civilians in the fight against the rebels.

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi vowed on Sunday to snatch a victory over Western forces which began on Saturday to launch air strikes against his troops.

Source: Xinhua
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:李牧)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Survey for 2011 NPC and CPPCC Sessions
  • Focus On China
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Gaddafi sends defiant letters to world leaders over U.N. resolution
  • "Crazy Skiing": dress with greasepaint, feather, leaves
  • Alvaro de Miranda Neto claims champion in Doha
  • Butler beats Pittsburgh 71-70 in NCAA
  • Contestants compete for Myanmar Miss Tourism 2011
  • Berlin's polar bear star Knut dies
Hot Forum Dicussion