Libyan gov't pledges compliance with ceasefire

14:47, March 19, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Libyan Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim said on Friday that the Libyan government had halted all military operations and would honor its ceasefire declaration.

No military action had been taken since the Libyan government announced a ceasefire earlier in the day, Kaim told a press conference here.

But he stressed that government troops would counterattack if attacked by rebel forces.

Government troops were now positioned outside the eastern port city of Benghazi, the stronghold of the rebels, but had no intention of entering the city, Kaim added.

The Libyan government has asked the international community to send observers to Libya to monitor the ceasefire and find out the truth of the matter on the ground, he said.

Tripoli is ready to provide an international fact-finding mission with the name lists of both the perpetrators and their victims, he said, adding that recent inhumane crimes in Benghazi and Misurata, another rebel-held city, were all committed by the rebels.

In a resolution passed Thursday after an emergency meeting, the UN Security Council agreed to impose a no-fly zone over Libya and authorize "all necessary measures" to protect civilians in the Northern African country.

Source: Xinhua
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:梁军)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Survey for 2011 NPC and CPPCC Sessions
  • Focus On China
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Egyptians protest in Tahrir Square against constitution amending
  • 14th Algiers Int'l Automobile exhibition kicks off
  • Obama rules out U.S. ground troops in Libya
  • S Korea children attend quake drill, donate for Japan quake victims
  • Protest staged in Pakistan against U.S. drone strike
  • Over 800 wild birds confiscated in NW China's Gansu
Hot Forum Dicussion