Cote d'Ivoire extends curfew to Sunday: statement

09:47, December 02, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Cote d'Ivoire has extended the election curfew to Sunday, the state television quoted a statement from the government as saying on Wednesday.

Cote d'Ivoire imposed the curfew across the country effective from Saturday night, one day ahead of the presidential run-off, which was aimed at preventing violence which is feared to break out before and during the presidential run-off.

The curfew was originally planned to end on Wednesday.

Cote d'Ivoire held the presidential run-off on Sunday during which incumbent President Laurent Gbagbo and former prime minister Alassane Ouattara competed for the top office of the country.

Three days after the presidential run-off, Confusion is surrounding the publication of the presidential run-off results after Tuesday's incident, in which representatives of the incumbent President Laurent Gbagbo within the Independent Electoral Commission (CEI) interrupted the announcement of the results.

They accused the rival Alassane Ouattara of committing electoral malpractices.

CEI spokesman Bamba Yacouba was confronted by the two representatives of Gbagbo when he was preparing to announce the partial results from the interior of the country.

"These results are not accurate," they cried out, before one of them, Damana Pickas, grabbed the documents from Yacouba and tore them into pieces.

Awaited since Sunday, the provisional results have not yet been delivered and CEI only managed to announce results of votes cast by Cote d'Ivoire nationals in the diaspora on Monday and promised to announce more results from the interior of the country on Tuesday.

The live broadcast from the studio of Radioffusion Television Ivoirienne (RTI), which had been set up at the CEI headquarters, did not proceed and the RTI technicians started dismantling their gadgets without any official explanation.

While waiting for the results, many people stayed in their homes with streets of Abidjan practically deserted.

Meanwhile, different camps were addressing numerous press conferences.

The Rally of Houphouetists for Democracy and Peace (RHDP), a coalition of parties supporting Ouattara, denounced what they termed as "a holdup of power by Laurent Gbagbo."

The group's spokesman Mabri Tiokeusse said he was sure that RHDP will emerge victorious since Ouattara received over 80 percent of the votes from supporters for former president Henri Konan Bedie, who garnered 25 percent in the first round held on Oct. 31.

He called on CEI to maintain its independence and continue with the announcement of election results.

The headquarters of Gbagbo's campaigns called for the "cancellation" of results from the north, especially from Seguela, Korhogo and Odienne regions, claiming that the voting exercise in these areas was not fair.

The country remains divided with the ex-rebel New Forces (FN) holding the north and Gbagbo's government controlling the south since the 2002-2003 civil war.

The FN denied the allegations from Gbagbo's camp about election fraud.

"These allegations are fabricated because in the zones under the control of the FN, the voting exercise went on peacefully and therefore the issue of cancelling results does not arise, especially in the three regions that have been cited by the presidential camp," FN spokesperson Affousy Bamba said at a press conference.

She called on CEI to do its work and announce the results.

The head of the United Nations Operation in Cote d'Ivoire (ONUCI), Choi Young-jin, said on Monday that the election was "generally done in a democratic manner," despite the few incidences of violence which turned out to be serious in some cases.

The observer missions of the European Union (EU), the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and the International Organization of the Francophonie (OIF) also made the same observation and called on CEI to publish the results as soon as possible.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:张茜)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Chinese Navy soldiers hold an evening party marking the upcoming 62nd National Day aboard Chinese Navy hospital ship "Peace Ark" in the Pacific on Sept. 28, 2011. The Chinese National Day falls on Oct. 1. (Xinhua/Zha Chunming)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 30, 2011 shows the crowd at the plaza of Beijing Railway Station in Beijing, capital of China. The railway transportation witnessed a travel peak with the approach of the seven-day National Day holidays on Friday. (Xinhua)
  • A man wearing high-heel shoes takes part in the 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event when men literally walk in women's shoes to raise awareness about ending violence against women, at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows a cargo ship in danger on the sea near Zhuhai City, south China's Guangdong Province. Cargo ship Fangzhou 6 of Qingzhou of southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region lost control after water stormed into its cabin due to Typhoon Nesat on the sea near Zhuhai Thursday, leaving 12 crew members in danger. Rescuers rushed to the ship and saved them by using a helicopter. (Xinhua)
  • Actress Gong Li poses for L'Officiel Magazine. (Xinhua Photo)
  • Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street campaign hold placards as they march in the financial district of New York September 29, 2011. After hundreds of protesters were denied access to some areas outside the New York Stock Exchange on September 17, demonstrators set up a rag-tag camp three blocks away. Zuccotti Park is a campground festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. The group is adding complaints of excessive police force against protesters and police treatment of ethnic minorities and Muslims to its grievances list, which includes bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Hot Forum Discussion