Hezbollah's head of foreign relations Nawaf Mousawi said Thursday that the Egyptian accusations against Hezbollah are a "medal" of pride for the group, local Elnashra website reported.
The Egyptian authorities arrested alleged cell members of the Lebanese Shiite armed group Hezbollah, who are accused of planning to carry out attacks inside Egypt.
In an interview with Elnashra, Mousawi said that "the Egyptian accusation and allegations against Hezbollah are in fact a medal on the party's chest, and an honor and pride to us."
However, he added that "those who should be ashamed are the ones who are besieging Gaza until today," hinting to the Egyptian blockade on Rafah passage between Egypt and Gaza.
Hezbollah chief Hasan Nasrallah admitted last week that one of the arrested in Egypt is a Hezbollah member named Sami Shehab, who was helping the Palestinians transmit food and equipment into Gaza through the Egyptian-Palestinian borders.
"The campaign against Hezbollah unveils that a certain project is being implemented in the region," Mousawi said without elaborating on the project.
Meanwhile, security officials in Egypt had said earlier that several names came up during the interrogation of 49 suspects who have been arrested over the past five months, and accused of plotting attacks on Israelis in Sinai area on behalf of Hezbollah.
Media reports said Wednesday that the Egyptian prosecutor is discussing the possibility of including Hezbollah chief Hasan Nasrallah and his deputy Shiekh Naim Qassem in the charges made against the alleged Hezbollah cell.