A top UN official has welcomed the release of two hostages in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the world body said Saturday in a statement.
The two Congolese men, who were kidnapped while working in the eastern province of South Kivu on the UN-supported Amani disarmament program, were released Friday in good health, it said.
The UN Secretary-General's Special Representative for the DRC, Alan Doss appreciated the efforts of "all those who patiently and with great restraint participated or supported the negotiations leading to the release of these figures," the statement noted.
Doss, who is also head of the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC (MONUC), paid tribute to the military and civilian personnel of MONUC for "great coolness and professionalism that have characterized their behavior throughout this difficult period," said the statement.
The special representative highlighted "the firmness with which the international community unequivocally condemns hostage-taking which can in no way be considered an expression of political views or legitimate claims."
The two men, Georges Shanyungu and Clestin Bamwisho, were kidnapped last month on their way to the eastern city of Uvira along with a team of Congolese contributors to the UN Amani program.