South African president criticizes warrant for Libya's Gaddafi

13:35, June 28, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

South African President Jacob Zuma said on Monday he is disappointed with the International Criminal Court (ICC) decision to issue a warrant of arrest for Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

South African presidential spokesman Zizi Kodwa told the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) that Zuma is extremely disappointed and concerned about the warrant.

Kodwa said it is unfortunate that the ICC could take such a decision while the AU, through its ad hoc committee, has done so much.

"I think the progress so far signals that there's a commitment now from both the side of the Libyan authority led by Colonel Gaddafi and the TNC (Transitional National Council)," Kodwa said.

The issuing of the warrant undermined the work of the AU committee, Kodwa said.

On Monday, the ICC issued arrest warrants for Gaddafi, his son Saif al-Islam Gaddafi and Libyan military intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi for crimes against humanity.

On June 26, Zuma hosted the AU ad hoc High Level Committee on Libya in Pretoria to discuss the implementation of the AU roadmap on Libya.

After that meeting the AU leaders said Gaddafi had agreed to stay out of negotiations on ending Libya's four-month political crisis.

Source: Xinhua
 
 
     
 
 
 
     
 
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:燕勐)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Train now in Operation
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Skeleton of Prosaurolophus maximus to be presented to public in Paris
  • Graduates dance at prom in Moscow
  • William, Kate turn up at Wimbledon
  • Individual mainland tourists travel to Taiwan
  • Premier Wen meets with friendly figures in London
  • Skeleton of Prosaurolophus maximus to be presented to public in Paris
Hot Forum Discussion