26 killed in rebel clashes in N Yemen

19:47, July 20, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

At least 18 tribesmen and eight northern Shiite rebels were killed in continuous clashes during the past three days in northern Yemen, a provincial police official said Tuesday.

The fierce clashes are still taking place in Harf Sufian district of the province of Amran, some 60 km north of the capital Sanaa, between tribesmen of Sheikh Sageer Aziz, a pro-government tribal leader of Harf Sufian and Shiite rebels who are known also as the Houthis.

Several others from both sides were wounded, said the official, adding "the tribes managed to repel an aggression by Houthis fighters early Tuesday morning."

The escalating battles that also cut off the highway between provinces of Amran and Saada came following an ambush that left three Houthis dead three days ago. Rebels blamed the government troops for the ambush while the families of the dead Houthis accused Aziz's tribes.

Tribal sources there claimed that a number of the army's armored vehicles backed the tribes in their confrontation on Tuesday against the rebels, while the police officials declined to comment on such allegations.

On July 2, Yemeni Interior Ministry said that Shiite rebels blew up the home of a pro-government tribal chieftain, Sheikh Sageer Aziz, in a northern ceasefire area, killing three followers of Sheikh Aziz who were inside the house.

Since 2004, Yemen has witnessed sporadic battles between government troops and the Shiite Houthi rebels whom the government accused of seeking to re-establish the clerical rule overthrown by the 1962 Yemeni revolution which yielded the Yemeni republic.

On Feb. 11, the government and independence-seeker Shiite rebels struck a truce deal to end a six-year sporadic conflict. Both sides, however, repeatedly trade accusations of breaching the truce which still holds so far.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:王千原雪)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • The graphics shows the launch procedures of the carrier rocket of Tiangong-1 space lab module, Long March-2FT1 on Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Lu Zhe)
  • Image taken from Beijing Aerospace Control Center shows a Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasting off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua)
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows strong wind blows trees in Sanya, south China's Hainan Province. Typhoon Nesat heads towards south China and is moving at an average wind speed of 20 km per hour toward the west coast of China's Guangdong Province. (Xinhua/Hou Jiansen)
  • A fallen tree is seen on a road in Qionghai, south China's Hainan Province, Sept. 29, 2011. Typhoon Nesat was predicted to land in Hainan later Thursday, bringing heavy rainfalls to the island. (Xinhua/Meng Zhongde)
Hot Forum Discussion