Yemen Shiite rebels claim receiving threats of breaking out all- around war

10:56, July 11, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Yemeni Shiite rebels in the north claimed on Saturday they received "governmental threats of next genocide and all-around war by the government army against them."

Yousif al-Faishy, representative of the Shiite rebels in the joint government-rebels committee that overseeing the post-war truce, said that "the threats came from top governmental officials of the Sanaa-based Presidency Palace."

"These threats do not have any justification at all, especially after we signed the truce agreement in February with the government to end long-running war in the north," al-Faishy said in a statement posted on the group's on-line website.

"The cease-fire deal of Feb. 11 guarantees all parties of ending of the conflict and returning of normal life to the battle- scarred northern areas," read the statement.

The statement also called on all Yemeni opposition parties to stand against "a new round of war before it breaks."

On Friday, Yemen's Interior Ministry said Shiite rebels kidnapped five governmental oil engineers in the troubled northern province of al-Jouf.

Earlier last week, the Yemeni government accused the Shiite rebels of failing to fulfill the ceasefire deal agreed in February.

An official overseeing the ceasefire deal called on the rebels to commit themselves to the agreed truce and to stop impeding efforts to bring peace to Saada province and the Harf Sufian district of Amran province.

Yemen has witnessed sporadic battles since 2004 between government troops and the Shiite rebels, also known as Houthis, whom the government accused of seeking to re-establish the clerical rule overthrown by the 1962 Yemeni revolution which created the Yemeni republic.

On Feb. 11, the government and Shiite rebels struck a ceasefire agreement to end the conflict in the northern part of the country. However, both sides repeatedly trade accusations over breaching truce, which so far still holds.

Source:Xinhua

(Editor:黄蓓蓓)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows strong wind blows trees in Sanya, south China's Hainan Province. Typhoon Nesat heads towards south China and is moving at an average wind speed of 20 km per hour toward the west coast of China's Guangdong Province. (Xinhua/Hou Jiansen)
  • A fallen tree is seen on a road in Qionghai, south China's Hainan Province, Sept. 29, 2011. Typhoon Nesat was predicted to land in Hainan later Thursday, bringing heavy rainfalls to the island. (Xinhua/Meng Zhongde)
  • Arash Kamalvand (L) of Iran spikes the ball during the semifinal against South Korea at the 16th Asian Men's Volleyball Championship in Tehran, Iran, Sept. 28, 2011. Iran won 3-1 to advance to the final. (Xinhua/Ahmad Halabisaz)
  • A man visits "Thy Word Is Truth, the Bible Ministry Exhibition of the Protestant Church in China", during its opening at Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church in Washington DC, capital of the United States, Sept. 28, 2011. Through the Bible's various Chinese versions, ancient or modern, as well as pictures, paintings, calligraphy, art works and historical documents, the exhibition was expected to give an overall understanding of how Bible was brought into China, how it was translated, published, distributed and loved. (Xinhua/Zhang Jun)
Hot Forum Discussion