Text Version
RSS Feeds
Newsletter
Home Forum Photos Features Newsletter Archive Employment
About US Help Site Map
SEARCH   About US FAQ Site Map Site News
  SERVICES
  -Text Version
  -RSS Feeds
  -Newsletter
  -News Archive
  -Give us feedback
  -Voices of Readers
  -Online community
  -China Biz info
  What's new
 -
3,000 US troops to be withdrawn from Iraq
+ -
09:33, November 15, 2007

 Related News
 U.S. favors slower reduction of Europe-based troops
 Iranian lawmakers label U.S. troops and CIA as "terrorist"
 Bill for more troop reduction in Iraq runs around in U.S. Senate
 Democrats' proposal to adjust troop combat tour suffers setback
 Roundup: Egyptian experts predict long-term U.S. military presence in Iraq
 Comment  Tell A Friend
 Print Format  Save Article
The US military is sending 3,000 soldiers home from Diyala province, the second largest unit to leave Iraq as troop levels are cut after a 30,000-strong "surge" earlier this year.

Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, will not be replaced by a new unit when they leave the ethnically and religiously mixed province north of Baghdad by January, US military officials said on Tuesday.

Instead, troops from the larger 4th Striker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, located near Baghdad, will take over the area, said Major Peggy Kageleiry, spokeswoman for US forces in northern Iraq.

"Most of the (brigade) will be home by Christmas and indeed a few people have left," Kageleiry said.

About 2,200 Marines from the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit left western Anbar province in late September under US President George W. Bush's plan to cut troop levels in Iraq.

Bush poured in an extra 30,000 troops from mid-February in a bid to stop Iraq spiraling into sectarian civil war. There are around 162,000 US soldiers in Iraq, the Pentagon said.

US and Iraqi officials say the troop "surge", more efficient Iraqi security forces and the use of neighborhood patrols have helped bring about sharp falls in US military and Iraqi civilian casualties in the past two months.

Kageleiry said the overall number of troops in Diyala, where violence spiked when Al-Qaida fighters were driven out of western Anbar province earlier this year, would not decrease.

With the daily toll of suicide bombs, sectarian killings and other violence slowing, General David Petraeus, the US commander in Iraq, plans to pull out five of the 20 US military brigades in Iraq by July 2008.

"The security situation in northern Iraq has improved exponentially," Kageleiry said. "The ultimate goal is to transition Iraqi security forces to be able to provide security to citizens of Diyala independent of coalition forces."

Mortar and rocket attacks dropped to their lowest level in October since February 2006. In Baghdad, Iraqi military officials plan to reopen some streets and hope to end a joint US-Iraqi security operation in Baghdad soon.

Despite the security improvements, 2007 has been the deadliest year for US soldiers since the 2003 invasion to topple Saddam Hussein, with 857 killed so far.

The US military says drawdowns in troops will occur only where security conditions allow. Other areas in northern Iraq such as Mosul, Iraq's third largest city, often suffer fierce fighting between security forces and Al-Qaida.

Source: China Daily/Agencies



  Your Message:   Most Commented:
Yi readies for Yao with win
Defense minister: Norway not to spread its forces in Afghanistan
Germany commits over 48 mln USD in grants for Cambodia

|About Peopledaily.com.cn | Advertise on site | Contact us | Site map | Job offer|
Copyright by People's Daily Online, All Rights Reserved

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90854/6303016.pdf