Turkey launches operations against PKK in east

09:01, June 23, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Turkey's Interior Minister Osman Gunes said Wednesday that operations had been launched against the militants of the outlawed Kurdish Workers' Party (PKK), who staged an attack on a police vehicle in eastern Turkey and killed two policemen, the semi-official Anatolia news agenyc reported.

"Operations have been launched," Gunes told reporters before flying to the eastern province of Tunceli.

The PKK should see that they could reach nowhere with such methods, Gunes was quoted as saying.

An explosion occurred on a village road near Tunceli's Nazimiye town as a police vehicle was passing by, killing two police officers.

A remote-control bomb detonated when the police vehicle was passing by, Gunes said, "The methods point it (the PKK), and we have taken counter-measures and launched an operation."

Listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the United States and the European Union, the PKK took up arms in 1984 in order to create an ethnic homeland in southeastern Turkey.

Some 40,000 people have been killed in conflicts involving the PKK for the past over two decades.

Source: Xinhua
 
 
     
 
 
 
     
 
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:燕勐)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Train now in Operation
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Children in poor areas chronically underfed
  • China, Bangladesh have significant opportunity to boost ties: Vice President
  • Jyrki Katainen elected Finnish prime minister
  • U.S. Fed to end bond-buying program on schedule
  • "Beginning of the Great Revival" holds special show for media in Toronto
  • Tropical storm Haima hits southern China, forcing ships to stop service
Hot Forum Discussion