Britain doubles emergency aid to Pakistan

13:58, August 20, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Britain on Thursday announced that it will donate an additional 51 million U.S. dollars to emergency relief efforts in flood-stricken Pakistan, which brings Britain's contribution to just under 100 million U.S. dollars.

The announcement came as British Secretary of State Andrew Mitchell was taking the floor at a plenary meeting of the United Nations General Assembly, aimed at strengthening the coordination of humanitarian and disaster relief assistance to Pakistan.

Mitchell came straight from Pakistan on Thursday to the plenary meeting and described what he saw as "scenes of total destruction. "

"The response of the international community so far has been woefully inadequate. The only acceptable outcome from the special session today is that the UN's appeal should be fully, if not over- funded by the time we conclude tonight," he said.

Mitchell said that if this would not happen, "the world will rightly draw the conclusion that the international community will have failed in their duty."

The British government already pledged nearly 50 million U.S. dollars to the humanitarian response and accelerated a program to replace bridges and provide new bridges washed away by the floods.

In addition, the British public raised nearly 25 million U.S. dollars through a British emergency committee.

The Royal Air Force currently helps to transport basic equipment such as tents and shelter kits.

"It is now imperative that all wealthy countries step up and give vigorous support to Pakistan," Mitchell said.

Close to 54.4 million Pakistanis have been affected by the worst natural disaster in the country's history, the UN reports.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:张茜)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Staff members watch a screen showing the blast-off of the Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center, Sept. 29, 2011. Commander-in-chief of China's manned space program Chang Wanquan announced Thursday night that the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module was successful. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)
  • Chinese President Hu Jintao watches the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center in Beijing, capital of China, Sept. 29, 2011. Other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, including Wu Bangguo, Jia Qinglin, Li Changchun, Xi Jinping, Li Keqiang and Zhou Yongkang, are also present. (Xinhua/Rao Aimin)
  • The graphics shows the launch procedures of the carrier rocket of Tiangong-1 space lab module, Long March-2FT1 on Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Lu Zhe)
  • Image taken from Beijing Aerospace Control Center shows a Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasting off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua)
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
Hot Forum Discussion