U.S. denies involvement in probe into alleged criminal network in Turkey

09:22, February 02, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

A spokesperson of the U.S. embassy in Turkey said Monday the United States was not involved in a probe into an alleged criminal network known as Ergenekon in Turkey, the semi-official Anatolia news agency reported.

Allegation of the U.S. involvement was "ridiculous," the agency quoted the embassy as saying in a statement.

A Turkish newspaper cited an indictment in the Ergenekon probe and said a car registered with the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul entered a military zone last April to take photographs in an excavation site in Istanbul's Poyrazkoy district, where weapons and explosives related to the alleged criminal network had been unearthed, according to the agency.

The U.S. embassy said in the statement that it had no record of a consulate vehicle present at the site on April 7, 2009, the date mentioned by the newspaper.

The so-called Ergenekon gang was revealed after police seized 27 grenades, explosives and fuses in a house in Istanbul in June 2007, which was accused of conspiring to overthrow the Turkish government by stirring unrest in the country, said the Anatolia agency.

Source: Xinhua
  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Nine killed after man seizes bus
  • Fans celebrate in Cairo after Egyptian team won African Cup
  • UN chief urges rival Cypriot leaders to reach a quick solution
  • Remember our peacekeepers killed in Haiti quake
  • Beyonce dominates Grammy Award ceremony with six statuettes
  • Chinese FM meets with Cypriot President, Cypriot counterpart in Nicosia
Most Popular
Hot Forum Dicussion