The Danish military confirmed on Monday that two of its soldiers were killed in an explosion attack against a NATO military convoy in southern Afghanistan earlier in the day.
A Danish civil-military cooperation team was hit in the town of Girishk probably by a suicide bomb early Monday, the Danish Ritzau News Agency quoted the military command as saying in a statement.
The statement said two Danish soldiers were killed and another was injured in the incident.
Denmark, a NATO member, has about 550 soldiers stationed in Afghanistan. So far eight Danish soldiers have been killed in the war-torn country.
NATO and Afghanistan officials have confirmed the attack and said a suicide bomber carried out an attack against a convoy of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province Monday morning, killing at least four ISAF soldiers (including the two Danish soldiers) and three civilians, and wounding 11 others.
Meanwhile, Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, a purported Taliban spokesman, claimed responsibility for the attack via phone to Xinhua from an unknown hideout.