Text Version
RSS Feeds
Newsletter
Home Forum Photos Features Newsletter Archive Employment
About US Help Site Map
SEARCH   About US FAQ Site Map Site News
  SERVICES
  -Text Version
  -RSS Feeds
  -Newsletter
  -News Archive
  -Give us feedback
  -Voices of Readers
  -Online community
  -China Biz info
  What's new
 -
British home secretary warns of "serious threat of dirty bomb attack"
+ -
21:28, November 30, 2007

 Comment  Tell A Friend
 Print Format  Save Article
LONDON, Nov.30 (Xinhua) -- Britain faces a serious threat of a "dirty bomb" terror attack, warned Home Secretary Jacqui Smith Friday.

The minister told Sky News that intelligence analysts believed the number of plots was likely to grow in the months ahead.

"The regular threat assessments I receive make sobering reading," she said, adding that over the last year or so the threat has been growing.

Eliza Manningham-Buller, former head of MI5, the country's secret intelligence service, had estimated there were 1,600 to 2,000 individuals involved in terrorist plots in Britain.

On the possibility of a radiological or chemical attack, the home secretary said, "If you look at the nature of the sort of attacks that have either been carried out or have been foiled, we are talking about attacks on crowded public places."

"We are talking about potential use of dirty bombs and other things and it is something that we need to take seriously," she said.

The failed bomb attacks in London and Glasgow, which happened last June the day after she took office as home secretary, was a graphic illustration of the threat facing Britain, Smith said.

Source:Xinhua



  Your Message:   Most Commented:
Readers Pick: Similar poses by babies and cats
Yi readies for Yao with win
World celebrities on China's peaceful rise, a harmonious world

|About Peopledaily.com.cn | Advertise on site | Contact us | Site map | Job offer|
Copyright by People's Daily Online, All Rights Reserved

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90853/6312969.pdf